Ideas for stocking my first SW tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zog

AC Members
Dec 7, 2004
I wholeheartedly agree with oscar83. That protein skimmer SUCKS! At the very least get a prizm or a seaclone. I know, before someone bites off my head, lots of people hate the seaclone. I think it's fine, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It's not the best in the west, it's cheap, but it does it's job well enough that for the price I can't complain. The prizms seem to have a somewhat better reputation. I've never had one, I have had two of a similar design made by ViaAqua, and they rivaled the VisiJet for worst filter in the world IMO. If you've got the money and you want a good skimmer, I'd check out the Berlin Hang-On Skimmer or the Bak-Pack2. You can pick up the Berlin from Doctors Foster and Smith for $200,and it needs a pump, the Bak-Pak is pretty popular and has a little bio bale thing for bacterial culture, and I think they're around $130.

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Hmmm, not sure who gave you that formula for 18 inches of fish, it's been 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons since I can remember, which comes out to 5 inches of fish for about 25 gallons (subtracting 4 gals for rock and substrate).

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
FloridaBoy said:
Hmmm, not sure who gave you that formula for 18 inches of fish, it's been 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons since I can remember, which comes out to 5 inches of fish for about 25 gallons (subtracting 4 gals for rock and substrate).
That formula can be used with fw but not sw.

SlowJim

AC Members
Feb 12, 2005
stellablu said:
Let us know what you decide on...we'd love to see pictures once you're up and running!
thanks for the kind comments :D i will make sure to post up lots of pics

I think i will end up getting the prism skimmer (although i am still looking at the Jebo skimmers on ebay... i have yet to find a bad review of them)

and I think i will add 2 clowns at first, and then wait a month or two and if everything is going well, maybe a banggai cardinalfish

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
you should cycle your tank, then add the clown fish, then wait a few months to add something else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store