Identification - tough ones

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aries

"Umm...., what is that!!??"
Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
OK, I have found out many names of what I have in my tank just by reading the threads hear and searching - LOTS of plant life - I think I have 5 or 6 plants identified.

A) It is hard, red (not shown easily in pic) and round. Is this coraline algae? It is the thing infront of the Sargassum plant.

B) Clear'ish, round (tube'ish) and fairly hard.

C) Looks like small patches of grass. Stiff "blades" No idea...

D) I am guessing it is a Zoa...maybe..really no clue. It likes brine shrimp - it closed up on one. Until a pepermint shrimp stole from it. "BAD SHRIMP" :)

Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Aries

30G, 20GL Refugium, 96W CF 50/50, 4.5"DSB, DIY Overflow with DIY Spraybar
PH 8.2, Sal 1.024, Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=0, Ca=440,Cu=0, PO4=0.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
coraline
some type of sponge
baby halmedia plant
and what appears to be a pest anem

I thought you said they would be tough???

Aries

Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
Ok then...I stand corrected.

I thought they were tough.

A) Thanks

B) Does not look like any sponge I have tried to find - ideas on further identification?

C) I looked for pics and they dont seem to match. The grass is smooth and tube like and is fairly hard too.

D) Are you sure it is pest anemone? Is seems to look more like a zoa - but again, I have no idea.

Thanks

Aries

Last edited:

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
B) sorry but no idea, I had some in my tank and it grew and acted just like a sponge

C) are you talking about the peices that are semi-round on top???

D) a better pic may help but in that pic it doesn't seem to be a zoa, more like a baby manajo anem.

Aries

Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
B) K - any one else on this subject?

C) They are boxed in red - two boxes.

D) I will try to get pic open and closed. If it is pest, I will have to terminate it.

Thanks

Aries

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
b) looks like a sponge to me as well
c) algae but have no idea what kind from the photo. If it looks like blades of glass to you probably hair algae
d) looks more like a manjo to me as well, Does it retract? Or does it close up like a zoa typically does?

Gildurath

AC Members
May 12, 2007
Thunder Bay, Ontario
I think it is a manajo, and I had a lot. But that picture is very fuzzy.

Aries

Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
I took pics last night but failed to upload them - cant at work - those free pic sites are blocked.

B) I had (well still have a little) hair algae. I dont think it is that type anyway. The "blades" are thicker and more green. I have better pics - I think - in hopes to identify these things.

C) I searched for closed zoa pics - it indeed looks like that when closed - will attach pic this weekend. I bothered it a lot and it does not retract into the rock, it just closes up. Would the manjo act the same - just close up and not retract into the rock? I looked up pics on the majano anemone, it looks like the tentacles are throughout the top, on this one, there is a void in the middle and looks like a mouth - maybe. OOHHH I wish I have a good camera!

Thanks for all the help!!!

Aries

Gildurath

AC Members
May 12, 2007
Thunder Bay, Ontario
If it does not have a whole then it will look almost exactly like a zoa. I have some Zoas now,and still a few majano in my tank, and it can be very hard to tell them apart.

Zoas are a colony, and majano are singles. So if you see another one grow right beside the existing one it is a zoa. If you see another one exactly the same spring up somewhere else in the tank, then they are majano.

Majano spread pretty quickly so if it spreads and you have nitrates of 5ppm or more, then it is probably a pest. If your nitrates are really low, or it spreads right beside itself then it is probably a Zoa.

Just keep watching it, and try and post a good picture.

Aries

Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
I will keep an eye on it - Nitrates are 0ppm with my fuge.

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store