im going to get a roasting for this lol

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
:eek3: think i may have a problem with beastie, ive just caught him in the act of swimming up beside my chocolate moor and grabbing on, it was only a brief couple of rasps until the goldfish squirmed free but oh my god, i cant risk this! im guessing it may be snacking on their slime coats, i noticed yesterday the moor was missing a scale on one side and thought it may have caught itself (although was trying to figure out how without catching its eyes aswell). i will be taking it to the fish store tomorrow in the hope they will take him for rehoming. i guess the common and comets that it was in the tank with were too fast for it. should i take it out and put it in the QT until i can take it tomorrow? i dread to think what it may do when the goldies are sleeping on the gravel in the dark :uhoh:

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Given that yesterday his anticipated fate was a "knock in the head" he seems possessed of remarkable luck and adaptability. Maybe a night in the "penalty box" will teach him not to munch his tankmates? You may have provided a teaching moment that will benefit him in his next home. I imagine one that size has few options for suitable quarters.

Heck, I've seen LFS's that should hire him and put him on staff. Some of their tanks have hard-to-clean spots in them too and he could just move from one to the next providing janitorial services. :)

You did a good deed. Send him on his way in peace and maybe find a plec of more suitable size and youth (so he can grow up knowing it's not nice to gnaw your neighbors) to take his place? just a thought...

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
well our LFS has common plecs in every one of their 6 and 8 foot tanks for cleaning purposes. im just hoping they have a space available. ive talked to the owner about them before, he doesnt tend to sell them unless the new owners have a tank of minimum size 5x2x2 and is more than happy to keep hold of them until they either find a new home or they just sit in his tank. he doesnt even have them priced up. im not sure il go the plec route again myself, im happy to get hubby in the tank and scrub the back wall :D i just enjoyed this big guy cruising around the tank or he would have gone for rehoming already. at least he hasnt ended up with a hammer through his head!

gonsouth

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
When I lived in florida, I had a 20ft long outdoor goldfish pond. I put 2 - three inch plecos in it and they both grew to 12" in about a year!

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
I've heard people say commons will attach to Goldies. I guess the Goldies are just more cumbersome and slower moving. Plus that extra slime coat they have must be tasty. I feel bad for the Plec and bad for you, too, but I'd also rehome him. Our loyalties are always to our own fish 1st.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
every pleco i have tried to add to a goldie tank has ended up attacking the goldfish and trying to suck on them so i dont even attempt to keep a pleco.

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
Awww....your pleco is just gorgeous. :) I do applaud your decision to re-home him though, before he does any further damage. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store