I'm going to set it back up again

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Gods, I can see it from here lol. Those are gonna be some fatty shrimp.

Tank still looks great by the way :clap:

Zardra77

AC Members
Apr 30, 2009
MA
Just read the whole thread, tank looks amazing! Gets me motivated to clean up my tank and fix the aquascaping. Love the low tech tanks. :)

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
you have now inspired me to do the research and do my own low tech tank. It seems like it requires a lot of time and patience to set it all up correctly. what in your opinion are the 3 easiest plants to keep in an aquarium??

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Low tech tanks mostly just requires an understanding of how to manage the plants, stocking, and algae. It also takes a certain tolerance for things not going as planned.

As for the easiest plants for a low tech tank, anything low to medium light. You'll want avoid really fast growers as well. They tend to attempt to take over the whole tank.

These are just some pictures from my phone 'cause I was too lazy to pull my nice work camera out of my briefcase. I also got a new printer and haven't figured out how to use the card reader yet.

The big tank got a massive pruning and clean-out last week. Pulled out 1/2 a garbage can of leaves out of the tank. Some of the big swords are a little "thin" right now. They'll relax a spread out in a few weeks. I'm debating rearranging some of the plants and selling off some of the crypts and swords. It's really turning into a jungle in there. I tossed in 6 SAE's and didn't see them most of this week. I finally found them down in the crypts looking fat and growing well.

20130215_173733.jpg

The E. parviflorus that I stole out of the big tank for my little shrimp tank came with some pond snails. They did a number on the algae but now I'm squishing like crazy. The MTS that I added in are also doing well. The 6 cherry shrimp I added in are loving life and the females are all berried up. They hang out on the moss ball in the rocks most of the time. The crypt I placed in there melted and is now combing back in. In time it should hide the heater and filter. I'm thinking that next week I'll move it off of the work bench in the garage and into my office at work.

20130215_174010.jpg

I've got a 15G and two 10 gallon tanks for QT/Plant growout to feed the big tank/LFS. I couldn't resist a betta a couple of months ago. The spoiled little guy has the 15 gallon all to himself (with a bunch of pond snails). He has developed an attitude and is giving unsolicited advice on how to build the shelves I'm putting together. He's also been giving innuendo's that he'd like an improvement to the cuisine. I'm starting to regret giving him such a nice place to reside.

20130215_174058.jpg

20130215_173733.jpg 20130215_174010.jpg 20130215_174058.jpg

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
I don't think you've mentioned this, sorry if you have, but what temp are your CFL's?

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
I was shopping around for some and found 5600K bulbs as well as 5600K Full Spectrum bulbs. Is there a difference? Which would you recommend?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
5600k? Is that like an internet speed? :p

The tank looks great. I have no patience for c02 but my old lady is pressing me for a fully live planted tank. I might have to bug you..lol.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Just did a water change & pruning. I also tossed in some fish from QT today as I've been home long enough to do a little restocking.

Thought the tank was looking exceptionally nice tonight so I took a few pictures. Unfortunately I need to get online and order another camera as my decent point and shoot died while I was in the middle of nowhere in Tunisia. Using the 5MP camera on my waterproof/dustproof phone just doesn't cut it. It's good enough for quick shots in the rain/mud/dirt but not for anything I want to showcase. I've got a new boss starting next week. My first expense report to him will have a new camera on it.

The swords have all bloomed and the offspring are in the garage tanks. The vals have deciding to attempt to take over the tank again. I'm glad I put down a gravel topping as it really slows down their spread.

The crypts are starting to spread even through the gravel top layer.

Just for fun I tossed a little anubis nana on the log. It's only been there a week but lets see what it does.

Fulltank.jpg

I'm liking the activity of the rainbows and now have 15 in there from 3 different species. They do really lovely in a planted tank.

I think the BN pleco's spawned again, I don't see them often as they hide really well.

The SAE's are at almost mature size although they like to hangout in the brush (aka crypts) so I rarely see them.

Fulltank.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store