I'm gonna have a pond!!!! Suggestions please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wiggles92

Lungfish Legionnaire
Feb 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Ryan
What kind of shape is it? Is it more on the circular side or is it more of a rectangle or kidney shape? I vote Florida natives, but the exact stock would come down to the actual dimensions.

If it's got a reasonable amount of surface area and is at least 180 gallons or so, then I'd say look into getting a Florida gar. They're really cool primitive fish and would look great in a pond. They don't get terribly large (under 24") and can be trained to accept pellets and prepared foods instead of feeders. I used to have one, and I hand fed it pieces of fish fillet; it enjoyed being pet and was kind of like a puppy!

Florida Gar.jpg

If you're more into smaller fish (or have insufficient room for a gar), then go with the previously mentioned fish such as flagfish.

Florida Gar.jpg

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
@Gary: the pond liner is black, so if I had the lighter colored ones I would probably be able to see them. I look down on aquariums all the time at the aquarium. Some fish do look better than others viewed from above. I recently saw some african butterfly fish, those look really cool from above but I probably wouldn't be able to see them because their 'wings' are darker colored. Where we are moving it is mostly warm, but it does get cold in the winter. The pond is heavily shaded, doesn't get too much sun. I won't be adding any livestock for a few months anyway. I need to clean it and cycle it, plus I'll have to find a job before I spend money on "frivolous" things like fish.

@pbeemer: Probably what I feed everyone else. I have a tupperware filled with something like 10 different varieties of pellets and wafers. I also feed bloodworms and blackworms regularly. I am also working on breeding rams and plecos, so culls will be feeders.

@wiggles: I love gars! But the pond doesn't have enough surface area to house one comfortably for life. It's circular.

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
I know, they're insane! I mean, they have good reason to be because the climate can support so many exotics, but still. If I don't keep axolotls, I am probably just going with natives. Stuff I can go out and catch.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I know, they're insane! I mean, they have good reason to be because the climate can support so many exotics, but still. If I don't keep axolotls, I am probably just going with natives. Stuff I can go out and catch.
In just about every state you can not simply "go out and catch" native species, especially "game fish". Check with the local fish and game. You will need a fishing license to collect live fauna and I am sure that there is a large list of fishes that can not be transported live...

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
There are lists of natives that you are allowed to collect for every state. I know because I've done that here and looked at the list on the Massachusetts wildlife webpage first. (Edit: Small scale for personal collection only, not for sale.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store