I'm having problems with my aquarium plants!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lukebridges

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2021
New York
Real Name
Luke Bridges
Hello guys. I recently took my friend's aquarium because he is going out of the US and I offered to take care of it. I don't know what he did and what kind of fertilizer or other stuff he used, but I do not like what I am seeing. The plants are not as they were supposed to be, and I have never seen something like this. Personally, I use fertilizers I buy on Amazon, Green Leaf Aquarium, and NilocG. The last one is the most used one by me, and my other two tanks are looking great. Now, this tank is a freshwater one, and I do not know if I am supposed to use any aquatic plant product at this point or change all the tank's setup. I am attaching some pictures, hopefully, they are clear pics that I took the moment I received the tank. Don't worry about the fish, they are moved to another tank, a smaller one, temporarily.

Did anyone of you have this same problem? How did you resolve this? Do you suggest me investing in improving this actual setup, or maybe changing it completely? What is the most logical, less time-consuming, cost-effective solution?

If the pics are not very visible, note that the rocks are turned black and the plants, brown shade! Also, the pressure of the switching pump was not proper, and I changed it. I know that this does impact, but I am not sure about the fertilizer stuff.

Thank you in advance!

WhatsApp Image 1.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 3.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 4.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 5.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 6.jpeg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would say the best thing would be to ask your friend for as many details as possible, or at least the types of plants and if they did anything special.

Problems can come from moving an aquarium, your tap water may be different also.

Adding ferts is not going to be a bad thing. Just watch for green algae building up and make sure you keep up on water changes

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Looks like a combo of black beard algae or staghorn algae with being nibbled up by the goldfish (goldfish are notorious plant eaters)

But thats going off of what I can see at all

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
In addition to that stated, it appears that the tank is in front of a window, or some source of much sunlight?
The plants I can recognize are some short of Anubias and an 'Anacharis/Elodea type', neither of which like intense sunlight, and don't need for may hours. It is possible this is providing too much light, or too long a photoperiod, and the algae are taking advantage of that better than the plants.

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store