I'm new here, and I just started a tank last month

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crystie

iknowthefishbutthefishdoesn'tknowme
Dec 9, 2004
san francisco
Hi, everyone, I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 silver mollies, 3 red swordtails, and 2 gold gourami. I'm a beginner, so I dunno if I'm doing the right thing. I started my tank last month. My fishes were sick before...they have fungus on their fins, and one of them had white spot. later, I put the fungus medicine and white spot medicine in the tank. I also bought the test stripe and tested it, and the nitrite level was toxic.. I guess that's why.. I changed water after 2 days, then they're ok now. I follow my friends and the petstore's advice, putting the water conditioner, ph7.0, cycle, and little bit of salt. I just test it, and it's ok now. I duno about when the water will change.. but the ph is 6.4 now.. is it ok? Please advise if I have done anything wrong.

Thank you very much
Crystie

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Hi, and welcome to the AC

First off, did you cycle your tank? (sorry if that seems a bit condescending) If no, read through the sticky on cycling your tank.

Second, i think you have a few too many fish in your tank. I know the lfs misinforms you about how many you can keep in your tank, its a pain. I would guess that you might be able to pull off keeping the mollies and swordtails, but i dont know too much about those fish. I know the gourami get large though, a 10gal isnt enough space.

As far as the infections are concerned, i dont think the nitrite had much to do with it. The toxic levels might have added to the fish's stress, making it easier for them to contract the infections though. I would avoid mixing medications, sometimes that can kill your fish. Sounds like the fungus is ich, its pretty common. Try boosting the temp to about 84degrees F, and adding some aquarium salt to the tank for a few weeks.

you'll get plenty of advice here, its a great site

hope ive helped a bit

crystie

Dec 9, 2004
san francisco
Thanks for everything
yes, I put what the guy at the pet store told me when I started the tank(cycle, water conditioner, salt, ph 7.0), but fish died >.< I had 4 painted glass orinally, then I add 4 mollies and 4 swordtails. The painted glass died one by one, and the swordtail had white spot, died, then the molly died..dunno why, but after I put the medicine and changed the water, the rest of the fish, 3 mollies and 3 swordtails were ok.. they started swiming again.. so I added 2 gold gouramis just yesterday. I think they are ok now.

Do they sleep? cause when I go home at around 2-3am, they are mostly near the gravel.. they don't swim.. the swordtailk even hid in the little castle..

I didn't know the painted glass fish's color was really injected artificially.. or else I wouldn't buy them >.< it's so cruel that people do that to the fish...

I didn' tknow the gouramis will get big.. I already picked the small ones which are as big as my mollies and swordtails.. they don't fight. they're doing ok. cause I read the info online, they are all peaceful.... but I'm concerned about the size of my tank.. I love fish.. and I wanna buy more. but my tank is too small.. I didn't start with a big tank cause I was scared. but I think I'm still not ready to buy a bigger tank.. I need to learn more first.. I dun wanna kill fish ><

Thanks anyways :)
crystie

justinb013

AC Members
May 25, 2004
ATL
Visit site
Adding "Cycle" product does NOT cycle your tank. It is likely that your tank has not completed its nitrogen cycle. As stated above, read the sticky post about cycling, it should help. If your tank is a month or so old, it should be at least part way through the cycle. If you do not already have them, go purchase test kits for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte. Test for ammonia first. If there is some present, you have not finished cycling and I would recommend daily 25-50% water changes to help keep the ammonia levels down and the fish more comfy (and less dead).

Buy no more fish in the mean time, as your cycle likely has not completed and you already have more than enough fish for such a small tank.

Keep us updated.

Good luck.

Edit: Oh yeah, you want to double and triple check everything the LFS guy tells you. He may not intend to misinform, but may anyhow.

Justin

crystie

Dec 9, 2004
san francisco
thanks,

i already test it with those 5 in 1 stripes that test nitrate, nitrite, ph, ammonia, and hardness. Everything is ok now after I changed 1/3 of the water and added everything I was supposed to. Is the sticky post about the cycling in the same freshwater newbie forum? the first one, right? I'm not very sure how to use this site yet, and who is LFS? local fish store??

Thanks very much
Crystie

Last edited:

Shierkahn

AC Members
Jul 30, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
First, I'd like to welcome you to this site, iit's full of info and lots of expierience. I just wanted to say that if you're scared about getting a bigger tank....... don't be. Even though good things take a little longer to get going so do bad things. So, don't be scared about getting a bigger tank. :D

the_dougie

Why call it tunaFISH??
Oct 17, 2004
Toronto area, Canada
To awnser a question no one else has touched yet-yes fish sleep. seeing them on the bottom motionless (as long as they're not on their side, or breathing heavily ect.) during nighttime is not uncommon.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Hi crystie, welcome to AC :D
Sorry you've had a bit of a rough introduction to the hobby.

If you can get a larger tank, go for it. Generally speaking, it's easier to care for a larger tank - 10g isn't much space to work with, and it's easy to overstock, which leads to stress, illness, and disappointment for the owner. Larger volumes of water allow a little more room for error - they don't heat up/cool down as fast, and toxins don't build up as quickly as in a 10g. There's also more space to decorate the tank, and the fish will appreciate the extra swimming space.

I think the fish you've got would do well in a 29g (or larger) - swords and gouramis can reach 4" or more, platys ~2.5", and you're probably going to end up adding some more fish; this size tank will give you the room to do that.

And yes, fish do sleep. A few days ago I had to adjust a piece of equipment after lights-out, and turned on a small lamp so I could see. I noticed that several of the fish were sleeping a few inches apart, tucked into the branches of a large water sprite plant - it was so adorable, they looked like kids in a bunk bed :D

[edit] You don't need to add a pH adjusting chemical - what can happen is the pH will drop/raise to 7.0, and then swing back soon after. Swings in pH are stressful for fish, and keeping the pH at 7.0 isn't really necessary IMHO. Your swords and platys actually prefer a pH of ~7.4, and the gourami won't mind. If your water is anywhere between 6.8 - 8.0 I'd leave well enough alone, it's much easier on the fish. [/edit]

Last edited:

crystie

Dec 9, 2004
san francisco
thanks for everyone's reply :)

I'm planning to get a 25g or 29g, but how can I move them to the other tank? do I put in the old water, and add water? or, do I put new water and wait for few days like i set up the 10g? then put the fish in?

I found out that they sometimes hide in the little castle to sleep.. but I only have one.. so, only one fish can hide. usually the swordtail gets the room..hehe... now I know they're sleeping. cuz it's kinda scary.. they are at the bottom.. and, look like they dun move.. the eyes are dull..

but the ph level is 6.4.. so, do I have to add it up?
and what brand of water test kit do u recommend?
do they need lights? I usually dun turn the lights on..
I feed them flakes once a day...and I have 2 plants in the tank..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store