I'm really unhappy with the way my tank looks. Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AngeTheDude

AC Members
May 22, 2009

It's a ten gallon with a betta and five albino cories. I hate the way it looks but I have no idea on how to improve it. Every other fish tank I see relaxes me, but my own just makes me upset. I want a natural look to it but I'm just not sure how to move forward. Any help would be appreciated!

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
Every other fish tank I see relaxes me, but my own just makes me upset.
I'm not sure if you are kidding or if you are serious. Anyway, how can you relax when you look at a red skull?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Just copy a tank that you like?

AngeTheDude

AC Members
May 22, 2009
...how can you relax when you look at a red skull?
I saw it at the LFS and thought it was awesome! My last betta loved to pop in and out of it, but now that he isn't around my cories love to go inside it and take a nap :p

Just copy a tank that you like?
I wish. Every tank I see on here that grabs me is some super complicated fertilizer/CO2/watts-per-gallon jungle! I don't really have the resources for that sort of thing, especially after finding out how much that kind of stuff costs at the store:

Me: so how much would something like that cost?

LFS Employee: *insert high amount here*

Me:

Last edited:

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I like the skull...
If you google aquarium design or something similar, there are articles out there about different factors in arranging tanks... focal points, etc. It may help with your design. I would say you're lacking a serious focal point for your tank, which can make it difficult to focus and can be anxiety provoking. Maybe that's what you mean by it makes you upset...

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
A black background + sand substrate will give you a killer look, IME.

lethalcustoms00

gearhead extrordinare
Jan 16, 2010
Gillette wyo
first of all get that scull outta there. get a centerpiece, i agree driftwood or a rock of some sort. And some more plants too.
patience will turn your tank into one your comfortable with. all those tanks you see that you like probably took time to become the way they are.

maddie

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Chch, NZ
use your driftwood in the centre of your tank, plant lots of plants you like and get a background for the tank or paint it black.. i love well planted tanks but right now i hate how my tank looks too, yours is cooler then mine!! :)

snapshooterr

Algae Beater
Feb 9, 2010
Toronto, ON, Canada
www.aquariumphotography.info
Real Name
Chris
Every tank I see on here that grabs me is some super complicated fertilizer/CO2/watts-per-gallon jungle! I don't really have the resources for that sort of thing
You only need that stuff if you have live plants in your tank. You could create a really nice aquascape with rocks and driftwood. The trick is, is to carefully select the rocks and wood you use to fit with a design. There is a lot of variety out there. And, you often won't find the best rocks at a pet store. Head to your local landscape supply center and have a look around.

Add a few fake plants (get good ones as there is a significant difference in appearance between brands) or some hard-to-kill plants (some types of amazon swords or java fern).

I am not so into the 'creative' decorations. The skull. I think a more pleasing aquarium is created using things that come from natural habitats or at least represent such.

If you really want to get into it, do some googling about visual design principles. They apply to aquarium layouts just as they do to any form of art or creative process.

I'd also agree with the black background comment. Or dark blue. Anything would be better than Batman & Superman.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store