improve or remove?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sadielu

AC Members
Feb 21, 2004
Long Island, NY
Visit site
New thoughts on buying an AC 500 for my 55 gal tank that already has a Fluval 404 running...
I'd like to get rid of my UGF, which has 2 plates; one side w/powerhead looks decent underneath, other side w/airlift tube looks rather nasty under 3/4 of it. I was hoping to get rid of the UGF and add the AC 500 (since smaller ones won't fit overrim) mainly because I don't like the looks of the lift tubes! But am I better off just getting a second powerhead to replace bubble lift and leave things alone?
I have a DE filter that has been used on occassion to "polish" up my water. Maybe I can remove UGF in 2 stages and use DE to ensure things stay healthy?
Any opinions out there?

soko

AC Members
Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
I have an AC500 on my 50gallon and I love it but I still don't think it's enough and want to get a canister filter next.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
I'd say if you want to get rid of your UGF go for it. As for if you'll have enough filtration that pretty much depends upon how many fish you have in the tank.

sadielu

AC Members
Feb 21, 2004
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Okay, Im really leaning towards removing the UGF. Which would be more stressful to my fish...trying to net them into a holding tank while I break down the 55 and clean out UGF sludge? Or would it be better to just remove 1 UG plate at a time (I have 2), a week apart and use a DE filter to pick up the residual floaties while the fish remain in the tank?
If the fish would be at great risk either way then, of course, I'll leave the UGF alone. I'm thinking that they would be okay as long as my water quality doesn't deteriorate.
I'm not sure why I'm so confused about which way to go...I make myself crazy! (Hopefully not you guys, too!)

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I think it's a good idea to get rid of the UGF. With the fluval and ac 500 you will have tons of filtration.

Probably your best bet would be to remove the fish into some type of holding container. That way you can return them to the tank when it is nice and clean. You want to make sure that the container temp stays constant while you are working in the tank. Also a lid helps to keep them in darkness and reduce stress.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you don't have plants, or lots of rock/wood to remove, I would empty the tank to remove the UGF. I didn't--didn't feel like dealing with all the plants--and ended up doing 4 50% water changes over the course of one weekend, and running an extra filter to boot. I vaccumed my gravel with each weekly water change, cleaned under the plates once a month, and was still shocked by the amount of detritus set afloat by pulling the plate. If I were doing it over, I would have pulled everything out of the tank, dumped the existing gravel entirely, and replaced it with a more plant oriented substrate. Even without replacing the substrate, you'll want to run some water through that gravel to remove the existing organic material.

You can innoculate the sponges of the AC500 in the removed mulm--it will help import the beneficial bacteria. You'll have to monitor the tank for a while, since you'll be removing a large amount of the tanks biological filtration when you pull the UGF.

sadielu

AC Members
Feb 21, 2004
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Thanks, everyone, for your ideas!
I'll go along with what you all agreed to...getting fish out and major clean out! Hopefully I'll let you know that it was a total success (in another week or so) and both the fishes and I will be happier and stress-free!
I had fun waiting for the ideas/responses. Maybe I'll come up with another dilemma soon (NOT).

jeffro426

AC Members
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
I use an Aqua clear 300 in conjunction with a XP3 on my 55 with excellent results. Heres what i would do...ditch your undergravel filter and use your fluval for bio and mech filtration. Use your AC500 for just strictly mechanical(it will do a bit of bio once the crud builds up too). I use mine in this setup and my water stays crystal clear and i never have an water parameter issues.

sadielu

AC Members
Feb 21, 2004
Long Island, NY
Visit site
So now I'm just waiting for my AC 500 from Drsfostersmith, and the ton of new silk plants I ordered from Big Als (nothing real for me; I'd never keep up with it!)
Question...OrionGirl, are you suggesting that I could also replace my gravel without creating havoc with the fish? Right now I have fairly large size gravel, 2 shades of blue. Thinking I'd like to get a smaller grade (?), maybe black. Or would natural look better? My bottom fish are coreys and clown loaches. If changing the gravel on top of removing the UGF would be too shocking to my fish then I'll just get rid of some of the gravel.
Thanks, everyone, for your help and suggestions! I really consider you guys the pros and consider your advice very seriously!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store