Indian Biotope Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Thanks for the kind words guys. I am very excited that I did not manage to wipe out my entire population of limnophila, my single remaing stem(lol) is actually putting out new growth.

Thats a male DG, eh? Drat.... I should be able to get some store credit/cash at another LFS for the 1.50 I paid for him. I'll try for another female DG soon. Whats up with the tail wagging and curling up together then?!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
My fan finally arrived. I have it running as an exhaust and its not exactly set up the best, but I just wanted to see if it would even make much of a difference. I have to let it run another day or two to be sure, but it seems to keep my tank under 82f except for perhaps a couple of hours at the hottest part of the day(outside air temps were 105f +). this means that I unfortunately must wait longer to see if I can order my catfish and scarlet badis..

If for some reason I can't work on the fan and keep it cool enough, I am going to have to rethink my fish selection...

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Well, my tank stays between 79f on a cool night to 82.5f at the hottest part of the day. I am going to seriously think about my fish choices. It appears that moth catfish(Erethistes jerdoni) and Scarlet Badis(Dario dario) are out. And considering those to were the reason I picked this tank.... We'll see what happens with fauna. Flora appears two be doing okay. I am going to post some new pics and try and get a little help in moving a few plants around.

I am also going to try removing my check valve from my CO2 reactor and see how that goes.

Preeths

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
Clip a piece of cotton cloth to the back side ot the tank. spray water on it to make it moist. As the water evaporates it brings down the temperature by 3 or 4 degrees centigrade. only down side is you need to keep the cloth moist through the day. if you use a thick piece of cloth it will stay moist longer. Only works on small tanks though.

You can use a small plastic bottle to drip water continously on the piece of cloth. make a pin hole at the bottom. this would require some experimentation to get the right amount of flow of water but is a very good and economical way if you do get it right.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I just finished a minor mix-up of my aquascape. I spread out my Crypt. lutea and I removed a bit of wisteria. Some of my Crypt. ciliata didn't make, it seems to be a very picky plant(at least with my not-so-green thumb).

Pics will be up later today. Thanks for that idea preeth, two degrees centigrade would be cool enough for the fish I want, three would be perfect. Is a 10gal tank too large though? I'll see what I can do to rig something up today and tomorrow

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Here are some terrible pics I took today. Any ideas to better the aquascape, let me know. I don't exactly have my green thumb yet. I am dosing Seachem ferts

tankright0821082.JPG tankfront082108.JPG

Preeths

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
It works for tanks less than 20 gallon. It may get messy if not done properly. if you direct the fan's air at the cloth then the cooling effect will be better and faster.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Success! I have been playing with my hood and now my water temp is a stable 77.7f! So, this week I order the rest of my fish! I haven't fully decided on the stocking due to the temps being towards the high range for a few of the fish, but all will hopefully be in on wednesday

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store