Indoor Ponds (Rays, Kois and Turtles?)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hankn

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Israel
www.interall.co.il
I was thinking of an out door pond but I've seen pictures of people with ponds for their Rays.

I was wondering if Rays and Kois are compatible, and hopefully, turtles too. A nice indoor pond similar to this: http://www.motion-vr.com/mbsr/shark/shark-reef.html

(4th pic)

Kois should be able to adapt to higher temperatures, correct?
If I'm not mistaken most rays are saltwater whereas kois are freshwater.

McLendon

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
An indoor pond is very doable.Koi turtles are ok together just besure the koi are bigger then the turtles.
Rays are brackish water don't think they work with koi

Jalo Reefa'

master of non-specific gravity
Feb 19, 2009
haha, let me get this straight, you want to build a nice indoor pond... similar to the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay???? awesome.

edit: oh, just caught the 4th pic comment. You had me in stitches for a second there.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
I believe there are some true freshwater rays, but I have no idea what their requirements are.

EDIT: Turtles are awesome, just make sure you research their requirements first. Aquatic turtles are not all the same and you need to make sure you're giving them the right environment. Many of the UV bulbs sold in pet stores do not have adequate UVB for turtles, so you really have to do your homework.

Sounds like a cool project!

keithnj

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
new jersey
iv had freshwater rays! i thought thet where very easy to care for(just do your homework and do it right the first time). they come w/ a pricetag of anywhere from $80 to $300. imo feeding them was the most expensive part.

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
So are the teacup rays I see at the LFS brackish then? I never noticed.

We want to do an indoor pond someday, but we were just thinking turtles and fish (assuming there is a way to keep kitties out). Never thought about rays.

Jalo Reefa'

master of non-specific gravity
Feb 19, 2009
My LFS has them, they are $300 and I was told "incredibly sensitive to nitrates." Dunno if thats true or not, advice from that place has been hit and miss at times

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Freshwater rays are very sensitive, but look and sound to be incredibly rewarding to keep. I would certainly not keep them with turtles, as the rays have pretty soft skin and I would be worried about them getting scratched up by a turtle's claws. FW rays are also tropical, so thats a no-go with koi as well. Also, regarding "teacup" rays, this isn't a separate species of small/dwarf ray as some sellers would lead you to believe, its just a nickname for small/immature rays. Even the smaller FW rays should get up to a disk size of around 12-16".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store