Info on African Leaffish...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scifimoth

Registered Member
Apr 4, 2006
I saw spotted African leaffish at the store. I would like as much info on them as you can give me. I want to make an informed decision about the possibility of keeping a couple.

They have them in a tank with dwarf puffers which is one of my species...so I am wondering if they are actually acceptable tankmates. Puffers are feisty...I hear that leaffish are equally feisty.

Thanks in advance for any bit of input...

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
I have a barbeled leaf fish, wich is supposed to be an amazonian species.

Link to picture: http://www.whozoo.org/fish/teleosts/Perches/amazonleafFwz112900b31.jpg

This fish is a hunter, and will eat any fish small enough to fit his mouth.

I don't know how it would do with dwarf puffers. Generally, puffers are agressive and I think the leaffish might end up being picked by those little cute fishes.

scifimoth

Registered Member
Apr 4, 2006
Thanks...

The ones they had at the store were in a tank with dwarf puffers and they seemed to be holding their own. However appearances at a petstore are not always what you get in the tank :)

My puffers are pretty feisty...but there are a few types of fish that they learn to live with.

czarben

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2006
I have 2 african spotted leaf fish in my 55G with tiger barbs, silver dollars, and gouramis. They've been very well behaved and the barbs don't even chase them.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
patoloco i cant get that pic to work...i would really like to see what this thing looks like, i googled it and cant find any pics lol.

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com

Candycat21

Dec 17, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The african leaffish is extremely predatory and as was said earlier, will eat whatever is small enough to fit into it's mouth. They get around 8" generally, so once they start getting some size on them, the dwarf puffers will most likely end up being a snack for them. They are teritorial, so if you plan on keeping more than one, make sure there are plenty of rocks/driftwood and plants to hide in. I would say a minimum of 45 gallons or so for a pair.
These fish will very seldom chase their food/prey as they prefer to wait in the plants etc and ambush it as it swims by.
Very good looking fish, but make sure you keep it in large aquariums with other larger suitable tankmates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store