inherited tanks with fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hmilstead

Heather
Aug 7, 2006
Glendale, AZ
I just inherited 2 tanks (1 ten gallon and 1 29 gallon w/stands) from my ex-husband who is moving out of state. The 10 was my daughters at his apt.

I only have room to setup the 29 gallon, since I already have a 55 gallon of my own.

The fish that came with these two tanks are as follows:

2 gold gourami
3 blue gourami
2 dwarf gourami
4 glowfish danios
3 danios
2 plecos (both common, which my ex should have known better after living with me)

questions:

1. Can all of these fish go in the 29 gallons (except the plecos)?

I have been researching the gourami since I have never had them. It does not appear that they could go in my 55 gallon since I have 3 very large Angelfish in there. I have read that they will fight.

2. Do all of the gourami get along? I believe they have been together for awhile now. The Glofish were the only fish that were in the 10 gallon of my daughters and the rest were in the 29.

Blue_Ram

German Blue Ram Addict
Jul 14, 2008
Oregon
The plecos can be kept for awhile. Soon they will grow big and will need to be moved to a bigger tank. All other fish should be fine in the 29g. Male blue gouramis I know tedn to quarrel sometimes. I believe the same goes for gold gouramis.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I have had gouramis live together peacefully in the past--although not as many as you will have in the 29. I had a blue and gold live together, with no problems, but several people have told me that it depends on the individual fish, because gouramis can be highly intolerant of each other, like bettas. I suggest, if you keep them all together in the 29, then add lots of plants and hiding places to break up the space, making it so that they get out of sight of each other.
I know nothing about gourami/angel compatibility, but hopefully someone will come along who can answer that, because I think ideally it'd be good to put at least one or two gouramis in the 55. The blues and golds can get up to 6 inches.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Blues and golds are much more aggressive to other gouramis than the dwarfs are. Though dwarfs are still fairly aggressive to other gouramis.

When I was thinking of stocking for my 75g, no one said anything about angels and gouramis being unable to be together. You could keep one of those gouramis in the 55g. And one of the dwarfs in the 29g.

The danios (glowfish and regular) are really cold water fish and shouldn't be kept in the temps that the gouramis will need.

And the plecos have to go. It's hard to tell where the line is between being a small growing pleco and being a stunted pleco is because the outside of their body just stops growing while the inside keeps growing. Thus, you can't really tell until the damage is done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store