Insane Ammonia Spike?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kinomatika

AC Members
Feb 8, 2017
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Kino
Camera Used
Canon t4i
I'm currently cycling a planted tank, 5.5 gallon, med/high light with c02. I used ADA Aquasoil for the substrate. I checked the ammonia level last night and it was at 8ppm (or higher possibly) and i asked my friend who also does planted tanks if this is okay and if i should change the water or not and she said yes. I did about a 70% water change at her suggestion, and the ammonia did go down, but enough to keep the tank cycling healthily. I check the ammonia again this morning, and it's back up to 8ppm or higher?

I do have omocote+ under the substrate, but I can't imagine that a few nuggets of omocote (and i do mean just a few) would cause this but I've been reading that ADA can cause crazy ammonia readings?

Is this generally true? About how long does it take for things to even out? Anything I can do in the meantime to keep the tank cycling properly?

Thanks!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've heard that ADA soil can really spike ammonia but I haven't tried it (yet?). I do know that ammonia over ~4ppm can stall or at least slow cycling. I'd guess you need to do water changes to keep it under that. I hope you don't have animals in that!

kinomatika

AC Members
Feb 8, 2017
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Kino
Camera Used
Canon t4i
I've heard that ADA soil can really spike ammonia but I haven't tried it (yet?). I do know that ammonia over ~4ppm can stall or at least slow cycling. I'd guess you need to do water changes to keep it under that. I hope you don't have animals in that!
god no i would never do that! fishless cycle all the way. thanks for the info though, i'll definitely do another large wc tomorrow.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I am pretty sure that ammonia levels that high will kill off BB...

I am pretty sure, but laying in bed awake and it's not easy to check, but that you are supposed to do frequent water changes with aquasoil... I think daily, then every other day, etc.

But Google for the correct method, it should be easy enough to find.

And good job testing water and not adding animals :)

kinomatika

AC Members
Feb 8, 2017
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Kino
Camera Used
Canon t4i
I am pretty sure that ammonia levels that high will kill off BB...

I am pretty sure, but laying in bed awake and it's not easy to check, but that you are supposed to do frequent water changes with aquasoil... I think daily, then every other day, etc.

But Google for the correct method, it should be easy enough to find.

And good job testing water and not adding animals :)
ah thanks! ok i will do that then. you guys are the best.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just something to add, but given the super small volume of water, parameters can and will get out of control easily.

Adalbert

AC Members
Mar 5, 2017
What kind of filtration do you have there, did filter was established or not, how are you changing a water, maybe you pouring to fast and you 'lifting' all those nutrients from the substrate, how did you add this osmocote, in which layer on the very bottom or just covered by an inch of substrate? Was it in powder or did you put it in some pill containers like they sell in the internet? There is many questions which might be important to understand why it is like that. Small tank is much harder to keep but if your substrate will stabilize and you have enough filtration, the rest should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store