Installing a External Cannister Filter - Kindly help me

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Friends,

I want to install my Eheim 2217 External Cannister in my new tank such that the Spray Bar is placed horizontally (I guess that is how most people do it) spraying the water across the surface. I'm not able to figure out how to make the connections so that the spray bar stays in place.

I mean, the Filter will be placed right below the Tank and the outlet hose will run from the filter vertically up to the tank. After that how do I make the hose turn so that it gets in to the tank, and then again turn so that the Spray Bar can be fixed to the back glass horizontally (parallel to the base of the tank), spraying water across the surface.

I got only a single joint like this - http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/images/4014050.jpg with my filter and I cant figure out how to make the connections efficiently.

Hope I've asked my question clearly - sorry if this was a dumb one...

Friends, also is there a way (other than using the suckers) to hold the spray bar in place, on the back glass ? My suckers always come-off easily...

Kindly guide and help me Friends...
Thanks a lot !
Regards and Care
Kush

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
They should come with suction cups to stick the intake and spray bar to the aquarium glass. I don't believe your filter came with everything it should have.

Also razor off any bio-film or algae and wipe the class clean before you place suction cups. That could be the reason it doesn't stay on.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
return or call eheim i dont think you have all the parts to the filter they will send you the missing parts.

rcalzadilla

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
South Florida
Refer to the booklet which came with your 2217 and study the parts; the upper most ilustration is the spay bar set up but upside down. Turn booklet upside down so it will give you a better idea but, item 19 is not oriented correctly in this illustration.

Push the return hose into elbow (item 19) which is to hang on the aquarium lip and keep the hose from pinching shut, as it directs water downward into tank. Hose should extend about 1 inch beyong this elbow so that you can connect "pipe" elbow (item 4), which directs the water sideways into spray bar.
Now you need a little piece of hose (about 1 inch) to connect "pipe" elbow to the spray bar.

Hope it helps, its a great filter, I have two of them.

PS: I only use my spray bars vertically oriented.

Last edited:

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
I found that the hard plastic curve shape you shared in the link got in my way of keeping the suction cups holding the tube with holes in the manner I wished AND sank the out-take opening too low. In other words, I just took it off. Added an extra suction cup (rambunctious cichlids) and it's doing just fine. Nothing says you HAVE to have the piece in there . . . . . jmtcw

rcalzadilla

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
South Florida
I found that the hard plastic curve shape you shared in the link got in my way of keeping the suction cups holding the tube with holes in the manner I wished AND sank the out-take opening too low. In other words, I just took it off. Added an extra suction cup (rambunctious cichlids) and it's doing just fine. Nothing says you HAVE to have the piece in there . . . . . jmtcw
In my experience I have found that everytime you bend the canister's hoses, they will eventually pinch and you will loose filter's output.

rcalzadilla

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
South Florida
nagukush:
The part you seem to be missing is number (19) in the schematic and Eheim's part number 4014300.
Call whoever sold it to you as it should have been in the box with your 2217.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store