invert tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
The creek probably had waste in it that was toxic enough to contaminate your water. I'd do a quick 50% WC before anymore casualties occur within the next few days.

As for plant food... what do you dose? If you use excel, then it can kill shrimp. I was giving my new plants "excel baths" and didn't bother rinsing the excel off before I added the plants into my CRS tank. I ended up killing 2 (or was it 3...) CRS this way. Technically, I indirectly overdosed the tank due to the plant-bath.

Dosing nitrates too much can certainly cause some deaths too. Personally, I don't dose nitrates in my shrimp tank. I used to... but I don't want to risk it anymore. I rarely dose ferts in shrimp tanks now due to bad experiences. And when I do, I dose half of what is recommended, if not less.

Of course, there are some people who have success with dosing ferts and even overdose on it with no casualties. If you plan on dosing ferts, then I would suggest you start at half dose, then slowly work your way up to acclimate them. Shrimp are much more fragile than fish, that's for sure :)

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
okay well 50 % water change done and i only have 5 cherrys left -.- looks like im going to order some more for my 10 gal...another question could it be a virus that is killing my shrimp? one of my shrimp that i found dead was pink and was brown around the saddle area what does that mean?

emptywallet

Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
finaly images!!!

the first pic is a full tank shot of my invert tank
second pic are 3 out of my 4 cherrys so i am going to order 10 more? good or bad idea? currently i think i have 2 males and 2 females
hey yadokari why do you put your plants in an excel dip?

IMG_0802.JPG cherrys.JPG

emptywallet

Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
okay well i just ordered 15 more cherry shrimp to put in my 10 gallon tank and hope they do well with the already 4 in there...the one ameca splenden in there is getting bigger so i might have to move him into my breeder trap in my 55 gallon...

emptywallet

Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
how would you acclimate these shrimp since i know people acclimate them like fish but most fish i dont think i acclimate very well so lets see what you people say

emptywallet

Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
i got my 15 or so cherry shrimps and i just noticed by looking in the tank the females choose to walk then swim while the males hate walking...i noticed that with my 4 but i just thought it was my 2 males just doing it out of randomness...anybody elses do that?

emptywallet

Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
okay well my ricca and duckweed is driving me mad and it somehow is like everywhere on everything so is there a way to get it out of the tank easily?

emptywallet

Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
well the shrimp are doing fine but i have a question about cleaning your hands/arms before doing things in the tank how do you guys tend for your hands to do tank work?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store