Invertebrates with live rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrustaceaCurtis

AC Members
Feb 17, 2012
North of Boston
I've cared for cold-water marine tanks at a small public aquarium for many years and I'd love to set up a tropical saltwater tank sometime. I'm especially interested in keeping invertebrates. From what I understand, the main types of tanks are FOWLR and reef. Is it easy to keep some arthropods in a tank with no coral? I'd love to set up a tank with just live rock, peaceful fishes, a few peaceful crustaceans and maybe a small horseshoe crab.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yes plenty of invert's dont need coral, hermits, well most crabs really minus the ones who colonize sps. shrimp, snails.

Don't know what size tank your planning but I think horseshoes even small ones will require something on the larger size as they like to have alot of unobstructed sand to go through.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I've cared for cold-water marine tanks at a small public aquarium for many years and I'd love to set up a tropical saltwater tank sometime. I'm especially interested in keeping invertebrates. From what I understand, the main types of tanks are FOWLR and reef. Is it easy to keep some arthropods in a tank with no coral? I'd love to set up a tank with just live rock, peaceful fishes, a few peaceful crustaceans and maybe a small horseshoe crab.
I've seen lots of tanks with hermit crabs or turbo snails without corals in them, at the LFS they had a 3 gallon once and it had a hermit crab in it.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I started with a tank with no coral and lots of inverts (25years ago). Lots of Pods, starfishes, shrimps, crabs, ect. It was only a 29gal. Had it like that for years. It was very enjoyable. I did not set-up a SW tank with fish till after about 5 years.

PS--I have never had a horseshoe crab, so know nothing about them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store