Is a zebra pleco worth it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you are talking about the CARES program, they supposedly let folks register as individuals, but I don't recall them being super organized about it, and know lots of folks who wanted to become involved but had an incredible amount of trouble doing so.

The most activity I have seen that's not at a club level, is their facebook group. but that is often pretty slow.. I don't recall anyone asking there to register as an individual.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
If you are talking about the CARES program, they supposedly let folks register as individuals, but I don't recall them being super organized about it, and know lots of folks who wanted to become involved but had an incredible amount of trouble doing so.

The most activity I have seen that's not at a club level, is their facebook group. but that is often pretty slow.. I don't recall anyone asking there to register as an individual.
They were reasonably organized at the club level, at one point. I know they're always posting om their facebook page that individuals have joined nowadays. So I'm sure that you're right.

The main reason I want to join is to get my grubby little hands on some of the fish I want that are pretty much only available through o

I think it depends on the type of breeder,

this is a hobby, not all do it for the purpose of conservation, people get burnt out if breeding these fish turns out to be a bottomless pit of expenditure.

<y thought is that if they were easier to breed right now, more people would be doing it, the problem is that there are bunches of fish that need conserving outside of the zebra pleco... most are easier and quicker to breed. Why does it, hypothetically, make sense to throw all the resources after the zebra pleco and ignore the other fish? wouldn't we save more by working with those that are easier to breed?

I am remembering Dr Loiselle talking about conservation in Madagascar, and it all being centered around the tree poodle.

As for L046, Breed them if you can, sell them for whatever you want, if you want them and can afford them go for it... if you cannot, don't get caught stealing them.

I don't think there is an authority on what is right or wrong when it comes to conservation, especially fish species. Not having somebody do it your ay does not make them wrong, nor does it make them right.

Breeding them and then giving them away or selling them is ultimately going to be a positive thing.
BTW, I've been meaning to ask. What is a tree poodle? I've googled it and can't seem to find anything on it?

WYite

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
They were reasonably organized at the club level, at one point. I know they're always posting om their facebook page that individuals have joined nowadays. So I'm sure that you're right.

The main reason I want to join is to get my grubby little hands on some of the fish I want that are pretty much only available through o
My feeling is that the additions on facebook are more specifically to joining the Facebook group, nothing more. I know one of my clubs was fairly organized with CARES at one point, but another was not at all. I never had a big impression that the overall program was as well organized... there was too much work to do organizing, but not enough volunteers.

BTW, I've been meaning to ask. What is a tree poodle? I've googled it and can't seem to find anything on it?

WYite
It's how Dr. Loiselle refers to Lemurs, not sure how lovingly, when he refers to the fauna of Madagascar. If you ever get the opportunity to listen to him speak about conservation there, or I am sure there are a few videos of him talking at clubs about it on youtube too.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
My feeling is that the additions on facebook are more specifically to joining the Facebook group, nothing more. I know one of my clubs was fairly organized with CARES at one point, but another was not at all. I never had a big impression that the overall program was as well organized... there was too much work to do organizing, but not enough volunteers.

It's how Dr. Loiselle refers to Lemurs, not sure how lovingly, when he refers to the fauna of Madagascar. If you ever get the opportunity to listen to him speak about conservation there, or I am sure there are a few videos of him talking at clubs about it on youtube too.
Okay, thanks. I was at a loss. Never heard lemurs called tree poodles before.

Loiselle did a presentation at the RMCA a long time ago, but the weather was bad and living 100 miles away from Denver I couldn't get there. Well, I probably could have, but like they say, "Caution is the better part of valor."

WYite

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
He's a good guy, and pretty funny if you have the same sense of humor.

I don't think he is travelling too much any more, and not terribly sure if he is speaking to clubs through zoom or whatever wile the Pandemic is happening.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
@3:55 or so.

there's a bit about conservation right after.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store