Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Is inbreeding fish ok?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by Fishman37, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Fishman37

Fishman37 Beginner Aquarist

Apr 19, 2007
    Can I breed fish from the same "litter"/"fry batch"?

2. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Guardian Of The Cave

Sep 9, 2014
    Several birth deffects can happen when breeding from the same. I wouldn't suggest it.

3. khombre

khombre 58

Dec 23, 2008
    i second that, in-breeding can cause some health issues for the resulting fry

i have a swordtail pond where unfortunately some degree of in-breeding does occur, some of the resulting fry grow up with deformities and others seem to have a weaker immune system as they are more prone to infections...

have a nice day :p:

4. Dunluce2

Dunluce2 AC Members

Aug 30, 2011
    the only class of animals that has no worries when it comes to inbreeding are reptiles. Yes you may not have strong genes and the odd deformity and weak immune system but they will normally die and only the strong survive. They're not mutants, just different. Its called evolution. You might just breed a superfish that will wipe out all humankind. Or some freakish hideous novelty creature that someone will pay crp lds for. Where did the sicko goldfish with the bubbles below their eyes come from. Or the lionhead goldfish with the humungeous melon heads. Or a balloon molly. I saw one today at the LFS and it looked like it had swallowed a rather large marble. A ball with fins. And i nearly bought some. The world would be indeed boring if nothing ever changed, have a look at some origonal wild specimens of the fish we keep. Some you wouldnt use for bait. Yet their distant cousins are sought after for their colours. Seen a wild guppy? not that colourful. cause they get eaten if their seen. so who did we keep and breed. the freaky mutants

5. Chickieepooh2u

Chickieepooh2u Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!

Jan 27, 2009
    I've heard that guppies don't seem to have a problem if you inbreed them, something about no recessive gene. I haven't tried to inbreed so I don't know first hand.

6. TheMightyQueenPixie

TheMightyQueenPixie Best Invention EVER!

Jun 9, 2008
    I do it all the time... You are good for about 4-6 generations before you have to outcross to a different line...

7. fishbreeder017

fishbreeder017 AC Members

Jul 15, 2006
    Sometimes people inbreed the father to the daughter on purpose to get a certain gene. I haven't inbed my guppies yet but I might. Only inbreed if you've been breeding for a long time and know a thing or two about genetics. :hang:

8. Z Man

Z Man AC Members

Mar 22, 2007
    Yes, inbreeding is done all the time in the hobby to acquire particular traits. Often father to daughter and mother to son.

9. Toirtis

Toirtis Keeper of strange fishes

Jan 9, 2009
    Not true...all animals suffer from inbreeding...reptiles included....they just tend to be more slow to show the effects of inbreeding.

10. Toirtis

Toirtis Keeper of strange fishes

Jan 9, 2009
    It is done all the time, but it is quite detrimental to the fish....serious breeders avoid it.