Is it a "BUILD" if there is no actual building involved?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Yes, they are designed to be water-tight. I went with a spray-on liner for two reasons...first, to add some additional waterproofing, as galvanized metal will eventually rust; and second, because I had heard that galvanizing is bad for fish. When it begins to come off, the fish eat it, and it can kill them (or so I hear). All a big experiment, so I don't know how successful it will be. I have heard that the plastic rubbermaid tubs are treated with things that hurt fish, too, but people use them successfully all the time, so who knows? Maybe the galvanized metal is fine, too...

Jen

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
What is this weird looking thing in my pond?

So, the tub is up and running, planted, Primed, and waiting for fish. Got a cool visitor yesterday (can't figure out how to write between my pix, though..?)on one of the maples, but what are these cocoon-looking things? They are hanging in the roots of my water hyacinths. baby mosquitoes before they are wigglers? FISH?! That'd be kinda funny, to get fishies free with my plants..Took a pic of one out of the water, sitting on my hand, too...

Jen

IMG_4556.JPG IMG_4571-1.JPG IMG_4574-1.JPG

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Mosquito eggs it is...time for fishies to eat them before they get wings! I am off to see if the comets at the LFS are out of quarantine this week. I don't get into too many fish stores, but this is the only one I have been in where they quarantine the newbies to make sure they are healthy before they send them home. They had some very pretty sarassas and shubunkin when I was there last. Never had shubunkin, but from what I read, they play well with others and have similar requirements to the comets, so I may give them a try.

I hear 20-50 gallons per fish, or x inches per sq ft of water surface, but I think I will stick with 6-8 fish for now. That way if they have little fish, I won't be frantically trying to find them good homes, at least for a few years.

Oh, I seem to have a crop of tiny snails cruising the sides of my tub...will I be sorry if I just let them do their thing? Got a diving beetle, too, from who-knows-where...must have had populated pond plants :)

Will you all laugh if I say I am getting the beginnings of green water and I am so excited?! It means things are getting going! And if I had no pond, I'd have no water to get green...ok, so I'm a little wierd, what can I say?

Jen

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Got Fish!!

Yay!!!
We now have 6 little fishies in the pond!
4 Sarassa comets and 2 shubunkin. And a volunteer diving beetle and a backswimmer (funky looking bug that swims on it's back). I wanted to get two pond comets, the plain carrot orange ones, but I took a look at the tank and changed my mind. It looked like a battle field! Fish missing pieces of fins and tails, several with (healing, but still...) wounds...it was horrible. I asked if they had had a hard trip getting to the pet store, and the girl helping me looked at me blankly until I showed her some of the damage. She didn't seem concerned, so maybe that happens regularly, which is pretty sad. All the other tanks looked great, and the sarassas and shubunkin were lively and not missing any body parts, so I went with them. We have named the one with the orange nose Bozo, as in the clown.

Will post pics when they are more comfortable and stay out in the open long enough to snap pics!

Jen

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
Hmmmm?
Kind of a toss up here?

Either This...

Or This...

Might need to take a poll on this one?

:thud: :laugh:
most definitely the car

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Be careful what you wish for...many pix!!

Water is still green, probably will be for a few more weeks till everything settles...not as green as in the pix, the flash makes it look VERY green. Had a big windstorm just before I took these pix, so there is alot of pollen and fir blossom floating around in there, too. Discovered a mesh kitchen strainer makes a great skimmer...and the fish think all the blossoms are food, so they've been pushing them around the pond trying to eat them:).
IMG_4619.JPG

Here's the new family! My favorite baby, It's the one with a damaged fin, looks to be healing nicely, though. It's name is Indigo.
IMG_4672-1.JPG
The red shubunkin. My daughter calls it Gash, because in the pix the red spot looks like an axe wound. Ewwww!
IMG_4658-1.JPG
Most of them together
IMG_4637-1.JPG
The three orange comets... Bozo is the one with the orange nose, haven't named the other two yet..tho the kids want Orangey and Half-n-Half.

IMG_4694-1.JPG
Pearl--the kids voted for 'Spot'
IMG_4623-1.JPG
Funny faces!! Pearl and Gash went for the same bit of food, and Pearl was just a hair late!
IMG_4621.JPG

Jen

IMG_4619.JPG IMG_4621.JPG IMG_4623-1.JPG IMG_4637-1.JPG IMG_4658-1.JPG IMG_4672-1.JPG IMG_4694-1.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store