Is it possible to humanely place two dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon planted tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
It's mostly around 6+ weeks to fish-less cycle. I know it's hard to wait, but it will be worth it. Hang tough!
Oh gosh that is a long time! I have a hard time believing most people do that. I may as well just set the 20g up right away and forget the 10g. 20+ years ago I started up with only one platy. It survived (I think) and it took about 6 days. But I don't want to have to look at bloody little gills.:( But that will be nearly 2 months. I have to think about this.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh gosh that is a long time! I have a hard time believing most people do that. I may as well just set the 20g up right away and forget the 10g. 20+ years ago I started up with only one platy. It survived (I think) and it took about 6 days. But I don't want to have to look at bloody little gills.:( But that will be nearly 2 months. I have to think about this.
Yep, it does take a while, No, most people don't wait that long & their fish die...& they wonder why...You've been informed, It's up to you...Harsh but true...

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Are you adding ammonia for the cycle?

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
Yep, it does take a while, No, most people don't wait that long & their fish die...& they wonder why...You've been informed, It's up to you...Harsh but true...
I just got done reading the comments by TwoTankAmin about behavioral symptoms of ammonia poisoning. Boy you people really know your stuff. I am impressed. I am glad this website is here. So glad I stumbled upon it.

I can't do it. I just can't do it. I can't bear to cause such suffering. I guess I will go for it over the long haul.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You can buy nitrifying bacteria to speed up the cycling. Just make sure they are in a bottle...

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
You can buy nitrifying bacteria to speed up the cycling. Just make sure they are in a bottle...
I already did that. That was the first thing I tended to. But thank you anyway. Once Easter music is behind me I will switch over to setting up the 20 gallon.

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
Please tell me what you think of the API Fresh Water Test Kit. I have used it to read the pH of my 10 gallon in an ammonia spike. I am disappointed in that this kit does not seem very precise at all. I thought it would provide readings easier to identify. I first used the "high pH" drops which were not distinguishable enough to take a reading. It was a non-descript color not near any of the chart colors. Then I have used the regular pH drops. All it shows is that the pH is 7.6 or above. That is not much help at all. I actually think the dipsticks are more informative. Geesh! What a disappointment.

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
A 10g is too way too small for 2 males & probably a M & F pair too. Males want to build a bubble nest, entice a female to breed & drive her away. There isn't enough room for her to get out of his territory in a 10g.

If your heart is set a DG, you might keep a group of dwarf corydoras OR small tetras OR small rasboras with 1 DG.

Can you go with a 20g instead of a 10? That may give you a few more options, but not many. Still, just 1 DG...
I have changed my mind again about getting a 20g and not just the 10g. I have learned that the little beasty I have fallen in love with (dwarf gourami) is one pugnacious little fellow. Many knowledgeable on youtube say that sometimes even a 40 gallon tank is not big enough for two males DG to not fight each other. So I will take the 20g back to the store. I will stick with the 10g. My plan is what you suggested in the first place. I will get one male DG to admire and a handful of cardinal tetras or neons. That way I will be able to manage keeping water hardness tolerable to the fish by supplementing my well water with the bottled water. I will get java fern and water sprite to keep him happy. So there.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So where is "so there"? I'm not sure why you're both agreeing with me & dis'ing me at the same time... I'm old & don't understand what you mean...Explain please....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store