Is it possible to humanely place two dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon planted tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
So I have a problem then. Cardinals and neon tetras have different temperature needs. Perhaps I need to take a couple back?

Since the 50% water change they seem to be feeling better. They all seem to be peacefully exploring the tank. EXCEPT...There is a spot in the middle of some java fern where one of them likes to hang out. I worried he was isolating. But at the moment he is really fighting with another fish that is trying to also sit in the same spot. Can a neon be territorial? This is not normal behavior for tetras is it? Maybe my tank is too small.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Don't freak out just yet. There is an overlap of neon/cardinal temps (say 76F). It's not easy, but it can be done... I forget what other fish you want to keep...Tell us again please. A dwarf gourami as I recall...Is that right? Yep, you probably need to with all 1 species of tetras, but it's not an emergency.

Water changes are always good! Fish feel happy, & you lower any nitrate etc. There's almost no such thing as too many or too big WCs.

There is a bit of bossiness among tetras especially in a small tank with few members of a "school" of THE SAME species. You need to realize those tetras are used to being in huge schools of tens, hundreds or even thousands of fish...so when we suggest 5 or 6 of a single species, that is a very small minimum!!

It's not they can't get along despite any temp differences, it's that there are too few of any given species for them to act normally & be healthy. I thought you were on the right track with 11 "neons"...but that's really not true, is it ? ugh! the fish can tell they're not the same kind...even though we may have doubts, they know!!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Yea the temperature isn't the problem. I have been keeping cardinals in the low 70's for decades... the problem is that you have 1 pair of cardinals and 2 pairs of neons. That ain't gonna be fun for either one of them. So take it up with the LFS.

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
I read that tropical fish are to be fed 3 times a day. That is what I have been doing. Is that a problem? They never eat all of it. 90% of food sinks to the bottom. I think that is the problem with the ammonia spike.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
There's your problem.... you have been overfeeding 90%. Don't believe everything you hear or read. Plenty of shops and books still tell you you can keep goldfish (plural) in a bowl or 10 G tank. The "stomach" of a small fish is about the size of it's eye.
Just ask on the forum... there are many here who have been doing it for decades.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah I agree with TL. You're way overfeeding unless the are fry (unlikely). Even then, if they're very small, twice a day of very small amounts is plenty. You're creating issues you don't need to deal with. Stop now!!

Adult fish, or almost, need 1 feeding per day at most. Vacuum out all that uneaten food every day until it's gone...& then feed less, way less.

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
There's your problem.... you have been overfeeding 90%. Don't believe everything you hear or read. Plenty of shops and books still tell you you can keep goldfish (plural) in a bowl or 10 G tank. The "stomach" of a small fish is about the size of it's eye.
Just ask on the forum... there are many here who have been doing it for decades.
I am MUCH encouraged to think that I have finally found the cause of my water quality problems. As soon as I got home tonight I did a 40% water change and sucked up as much of the rotting food out of the tank as I could. I would like to skip feeding them today. I hope that is okay. What do you all say to skipping a day of food now and then? In about an hour I will do testing to see what I get.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, skipping a day or even 2 is fine for your fish & better for your water quality. Keep up the vacuuming! You'll see good results very soon!

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store