Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Java Moss really THAT hard to find?

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by JamesBenjamin, Dec 5, 2002.

1. JamesBenjamin

JamesBenjamin Hopeless Romantic

May 8, 2014
    Of course they don't have it at petsmart/petco, but when I went into my two LFS they acted like I was asking for something that was really really rare! Makes no sense... one of the places had what he called 'half a portion' that was in peices in a few tanks, so he gave it to me when I bought some other plants, but I didn't expect it to be that hard to find!

...scary!

2. Jeremy S

Jeremy S AC Members

Jan 7, 2007
    I don’t think its that rare. At least in Colorado its not.

3. somefinnfishy

somefinnfishy AC Members

Sep 23, 2008
    Yes it can be tricky to find it try looking for java ferns:)

4. downloader

downloader AC Members

Jul 14, 2017
    Your guys might not want to hear this, but yesterday I trimmed my java moss and threw out about 2 handfulls of the stuff.:D

5. Richer

Richer AC Members

Nov 12, 2006
    Its funny how hard it is to find this stuff.... before I discovered this one store that specialized in plants, there was only one place that sold java moss... a local pet "superstore." I didn't like the conditions of which their fish was kept, so I didn't buy any. The ironic thing is, its so easy to grow a mass of this stuff as well.

-Richer

6. JamesBenjamin

May 8, 2014
    well, right now i have a 'batch' that is about the size of a small margerine tub... should I bother buying anymore? if it grows quickly, I guess i wont have to!

also: java fern, I have some of this too, its about five really tall leaves with a single big 'root' in a line at the bottom, with a 'root system' that looks like brown java moss... should the 'roots' be under the gravel?

it is possible i bought something that was labeled wrong though...

7. Richer

Richer AC Members

Nov 12, 2006
    Java fern, like java moss take basically all of their nutrients from the water column. The roots you see from the java fern are basically there to anchor the plant (be it a rock, driftwood, or substrate). They can be buried in the substrate if you want.

Oh, the "big root" you see is the rhizome of the plant. Keep this above the substrate (assuming you are gonna put the plant into the substrate) at all times. If buried, the rhizome will rot and the plant will die.

HTH
    -Richer

8. JamesBenjamin

May 8, 2014
    I just did a google search actually and read that you can make them attach to some driftwood, I think I'll do that this weekend, when I go out again. (I'm sure not going out now with snow everywhere!)

9. odessa

odessa AC Members

Apr 2, 2006
    To find plant that I want I usually have to buy off the web as the lfs's here don't carry that good of selection. You can find Java moss and other decent plants at Aqua-bid .com.

10. Robert H

Robert H Aspiring Guru

Feb 7, 2013
    The plant, like many goes thru a cycle of availability. The wholesalers and nurseries that supply the stores may have it for a few months, sell out, and then it will be a few months before they have it again. It's all timing! I have quite a bit of it right now, tank grown, submersed grown, very green. I must have about 3 pounds of it.

Robert H