Is neon gravel safe for fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I agree darker substrates are my preference in most situations but even Petcos sand is epoxy coated, granted Caribsea is a much better choice
That was one consideration for choosing it. The other was I'd heard good things about it, so opted to try it for myself and see how it works. Since it's actually lava sand, it's not solid black like the Petco sand in my 29g. It's got some subtle variations, and it looks rather nice with driftwood and live plants.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Those with the "peeling paint" gravel, how long did you have this gravel in use? I've not had painted gravel in use longer than 3-4yrs at this point, but it currently looks like it did right out of the bag. My oscar and severum tank has black gravel that gets a vigorous gravel vac weekly as well.

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
Those with the "peeling paint" gravel, how long did you have this gravel in use? I've not had painted gravel in use longer than 3-4yrs at this point, but it currently looks like it did right out of the bag. My oscar and severum tank has black gravel that gets a vigorous gravel vac weekly as well.
I haven't had this problem myself, because I've always avoided coated substrates.

I would suspect that water parameters like pH, TDS and temp would significantly affect the coating's longevity.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I had PetSmart brand black gravel in my niece's 5 gallon tank and the coating started chipping off in a month or two. I think it was something to do with the well water. . .

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I used painted/epoxy coated black gravel in a betta bowl (before I knew better), and it started peeling/flaking to the point I had to replace it within 3 months. I vigorously cleaned the bowl weekly, and that may have hastened the demise of the coating. I've had it last longer in aquariums, but it would always flake and peel. I eventually switched to the natural colored gravel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store