Is Satellite Radio Becoming Terrestrial Radio?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Where's Kas?

I plan on getting one of these units when they finally hit the shelves here in igloo-land. I would like to see a station dedicated to unknown 'garage' bands, especially Christian garage bands. There is a lot of talent in all genres that goes unnoticed. For example: One of my faves, Kim Mitchell (aka Max Webster). Every thirty something and forty something Canadian can identify with these party favourites, but for some reason they never broke south of the border. Pure talent that missed the calling. And Joe Ely. That guy (band?) should have broke wide open. Sattelite radio could change all that. Move over American Pop Star. Sattelite radio is coming.

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Its mee! CSR (XM) and Sirius will be here Dec 7. Sold at The Source, Future shop, and Best Buy. The MyFi will be sold for $400 and the RoadyXT $120. Worth it? NO! Buy from www.xmfanstore.com Its much cheaper. XM currently does have 3 Christian channels. XM will also have 7(?) Canadian channels that will be English and French.

Now to the point: XM has not added any commercials to any of its channels, since it went commercial free. XM currently has 68 music channels that are commercial free, this number has been going up if anything. Whats he talking about? Sirius has "shallow" playlists while XM has much deeper lists. If you like hearing old songs over and over, or if you like sports go with Sirius. If you are looking from good music, great playlists go with XM. Sirius has almost 2 millions subs, while XM has past 5 mil. Why?, listen and find out. The writer of this article did not relate how Sat radio is becoming terr radio, other than Howard Stern, and commercials. Both of which are wrong. If you like Howarde go to Sirius. And now he can say what ever he wants. Could he do that on normal radio...I don't think so.

Last edited:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Kasakato said:
.... If you like Howarde go to Sirius. And now he can say what ever he wants. Could he do that on normal radio...I don't think so.
I never did get caught up in his "show"... It's good he has the freedom to go to satellite, I got a few chuckles from what I heard on his show, the Bleeps were good enough. My opinion is it would be a rude show indeed without the Bleeps. There most likely won't be a "shock jock" like him again; and that's ok too.... ;)

Walrus

Beatles fanatic
Jan 4, 2002
Missouri
The author mentioned XM in the first paragraph and then spent the rest of the time complaining about Sirius. I've had XM for 2+ years and i absolutley dread when i have to be in a car without satalite radio!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Walrus said:
... I've had XM for 2+ years and i absolutley dread when i have to be in a car without satalite radio!
Can't say I know much about it, but the article sounded interesting. Too bad there's no way to "test drive" satellite radio before buying. A few friends may jump on board soon... Guess I'll wait... I don't travel that much, so that's another downside to buying it.

Walrus

Beatles fanatic
Jan 4, 2002
Missouri
I really just stumbled upon it Joe. I bought a new car that had a free 3 month trial of XM and ever since i've been hooked.

I spend 45 minutes to and from work in my car commuting each day and it's nice to get in the car and not have to listen to advertisements. I can get in and pick which genre of music i want to listen too and just relax while i sit in traffic. :cool: Another thing i like is the audio quality. I never realized how poor the quality of normal FM radio was until i got satalite radio! Also included in the $12.95 monthly charge is XM's online radio, so i use it while i'm at work which is really nice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store