Is simulated stone aquarium-safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Was thinking of using simulated stone as as background for my 29g, but inside the tank. Anyone know if it's safe (or even able to be put in water?)

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
I suppose it would depend on what it was made of...do you have any more information ( manufacturer, links to info, etc.) about it?

Most aquarium decorations at the LFS that look like stones could be considered "simulated stone"...so I guess I don't know what your specifically talking about.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Dunno materials about it, but I mean the fake stone you would cover a wall in to make it look like a stone wall.

In hidsight, I think fake pond stones are made of the same stuff, and you hide air pumps and such under those...

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
I could be thinking of something totally different, but isn't that usually made out of fiberglass? I'd be curious about what they used to paint/dye it, but certainly fiberglass would be harmless.

Last edited:

wetmanNY

AC Members
Those gaming figures and "collectibles" such as anatomically correct mermaids are generally of cast resin painted with acrylic. Acrylic is safe: essentially, once it's cured, it's a thin film of acrylic plastic. But with prolonged submersion, I think it would tend to flake and lift. The cast resin used is a two-part resin. Those are inert once they've completely cured.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Ok, if you want an example of the material...

It's the fake rock outside the tank on the base and hood.
But I'd want to put that stuff insude the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store