Is something wrong with my Oscar?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Yeah i looked it up and it looked pretty similar thank you for your help ☺
It looks like a prolapse. From the apparent age of the fish, I'm going to guess an anal prolapse. The large fins and coloration suggests it's just passing into sexual maturity so I'm guessing it's not more than 4" long, give or take, so it's not likely to be a prolapsed vent. Please confirm the size of the fish to ensure my observations are on target.

I've never had to treat a prolapse. Success stories that I've read discussed soaking the fish's foods in epsom salts and adding epsom salts to the water. This would be better if you had a smaller quarantine tank to put the fish in during treatment. For exact dosages, I'm going to suggest you do an internet search for "cichlid anal prolapse treatment" and read several articles and maybe watch a few videos and proceed with the dosages that appeared to give the best success.

FishAddict74 FishAddict74 , have you ever had to treat a prolapse?

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
It looks like a prolapse. From the apparent age of the fish, I'm going to guess an anal prolapse. The large fins and coloration suggests it's just passing into sexual maturity so I'm guessing it's not more than 4" long, give or take, so it's not likely to be a prolapsed vent. Please confirm the size of the fish to ensure my observations are on target.

I've never had to treat a prolapse. Success stories that I've read discussed soaking the fish's foods in epsom salts and adding epsom salts to the water. This would be better if you had a smaller quarantine tank to put the fish in during treatment. For exact dosages, I'm going to suggest you do an internet search for "cichlid anal prolapse treatment" and read several articles and maybe watch a few videos and proceed with the dosages that appeared to give the best success.

FishAddict74 FishAddict74 , have you ever had to treat a prolapse?

WYite
I’ve never had a fish with a prolapsed anus but that was actually what I thought this was. I’ve only read about it though

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've never had a fish with a prolapse either but I think WYite's idea of Epsom salt is the best bet I've heard of. I'm not sure of the tank dosage, like 1TBSP/5g but look it up! I don't know about Epsom salt in food (the magnesium foot soak kind of "salt" NOT regular table salt or "aquarium salt"). You are trying to shrink swollen tissues. I think it looks better than some similar very red probable prolapses I've seen., hopefully you've caught it early & will treat very soon.

If you're in the US, epsom salt is sold in drugstores, or big Walmart/Target stores in the "pharmacy foot area". Mine looks like a half gallon milk box but it's old...

Reactions: FishAddict74
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store