Is the iCube LT60A good?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hellafraid

Registered Member
Mar 25, 2020
I have a iCube aquarium and I wander if it’s good and how should I replace the filter cartridge?

Flyfisha

AC Members
Mar 23, 2020
Australia
Camera Used
iPhone iPad
My first tank was a cube. To be honest a cube is not the best shape for an aquarium. The surface area for oxygen exchange in a rectangular tank and the floor area for fish in the more conventional shape means you are at a slight disadvantage for stocking when compared to other 60 litre tanks. It does not matter work with what you have.

On the subject of changing filter cartridges. It may come as a surprise but filter sponge/ fabric or cartridges are not replaced for years. They are rinsed in old tank water. The bacteria live on all hard surfaces but mostly where there is a current of food ( poop) for them to eat.

Have you read of the nitrogen cycle?

Hellafraid

Registered Member
Mar 25, 2020
My first tank was a cube. To be honest a cube is not the best shape for an aquarium. The surface area for oxygen exchange in a rectangular tank and the floor area for fish in the more conventional shape means you are at a slight disadvantage for stocking when compared to other 60 litre tanks. It does not matter work with what you have.

On the subject of changing filter cartridges. It may come as a surprise but filter sponge/ fabric or cartridges are not replaced for years. They are rinsed in old tank water. The bacteria live on all hard surfaces but mostly where there is a current of food ( poop) for them to eat.

Have you read of the nitrogen cycle?
I have already read about the nitrogen cycle and the iCube is just a brand name it is actuall a rectangle

Flyfisha

AC Members
Mar 23, 2020
Australia
Camera Used
iPhone iPad
My apologies . Having done a quick search it’s as you say a 567mm long 60 litre. The 820 LPH filter sounds good as does the light that has the slow ramp up feature.

As you have read of the nitrogen cycle you will understand how important it is that bacteria numbers remain undisturbed . Asking about changing cartridges could mean you think you should buy new cartridges each month? Or it could mean tossing the cartridges away on day one and using foam sheet in its place .
I use foam sheet myself along with a bag of ceramic media.

Definitely don’t replace whatever media cartridges or foam you put in the filter for years.

Hellafraid

Registered Member
Mar 25, 2020
My apologies . Having done a quick search it’s as you say a 567mm long 60 litre. The 820 LPH filter sounds good as does the light that has the slow ramp up feature.

As you have read of the nitrogen cycle you will understand how important it is that bacteria numbers remain undisturbed . Asking about changing cartridges could mean you think you should buy new cartridges each month? Or it could mean tossing the cartridges away on day one and using foam sheet in its place .
I use foam sheet myself along with a bag of ceramic media.

Definitely don’t replace whatever media cartridges or foam you put in the filter for years.
Thanks for the reply

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store