Is their any consensus on the reach of Galaxea?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Trying to rearrange some things, I moved a rock a little bit and it must of pissed off my BTA cause it moved a little closer to the galaxea then I'd like. Going to move the galaxea and place some zoa's and polyps around the galaxea with the way my flow is I should only have to worry about stuff to the right of it, does sting reach vary or do they have a set distance they can reach from the main base?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It varies, but Galaxea have very long, powerful sweepers. They can easily reach 6".

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Try 12". I saw a colony, in a lfs display tank that had sweepers, at least, a foot long, waving in the current. I haven't bought any galaxia, just for that reason.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Try 12". I saw a colony, in a lfs display tank that had sweepers, at least, a foot long, waving in the current. I haven't bought any galaxia, just for that reason.
Agreed. The reach of galaxia is as impressive as it is potent. The reach can certainly vary from one colony to another, but it's definitely not something you want to underestimate.
If anything, try to position it so sweepers are carried away from anything else by the current in your tank.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I have it setup now so its on a high up rock nearest coral is about 6" away but the sweepers should stay above it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store