Is there a freshwater animal that could filter, say, a pond into potable water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Claymore132

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2020
This is something I have been thinking about for quite some time, but I am having trouble researching it. I have heard that oysters, clams, and sponges filter water, but they are sensitive and require specific conditions. Does anyone know of a species that could filter out extremely dirty water and still thrive?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
For what purpose? The fact that they exist in those conditions and remain there doesn't equate to thriving, IMO. But they may be performing a function overall.

Reactions: the loach

Claymore132

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2020
Mostly for the purpose of being able to actually drink the water. Or at least get it close. For example, a retention pond would have a lot of runoff from nearby lawns and roads ( in a city area). This would cause a lot of algae to begin to spawn because of the high phosphorus and nitrogen levels, and eventually lead to a dead zone in that area. So, are there any freshwater animals that act as either a water stabilizer so that it does not contain an over amount of nutrients? And are there any freshwater animals that eat bacteria? (Sry for the large question?, just very intrested in seeing if there are any existing creatures that exist as a natural filter.)

Apr 2, 2002
New York
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store