Is there any fish that goes in a 3 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gilgamesh

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
I’ve recently been thinking of getting a small tank for my daughter’s room. By small, I’m thinking 2-3 gallons. My question is, is there any fish that can reside in a tank this small? It would probably be one of the eclipse systems, so there would be filtration, but no heater. My house gets down to 65 F during the day in the winter, so I don’t know if a Betta (which seems to be the only choice I can think of) would work or not?

Any other suggestions besides a Betta? Or how to heat that small of a tank? I’m not going to get a bigger tank for her room, so if I can’t think of anything else, I’ll probably just drop the idea…

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
It won't be that much more for a 10, and you could have some choices. Even a betta in a 3 gal would want more room despite the fact they are in little cups at the store. You would want a heater, since temp. fluctuations (even a few degrees) will stress a fish. If you read the sticky on cycling, you will find(if you don't already know) its not just buy fish and tank....add water.

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
a couple otos or three common guppes would be nice. - and a snail!

jordank

AC Members
Dec 11, 2004
i'm going to have to disagree with nuriel. while they can handle the temperature, they like warmer temperatures AND thats way overstocking.

Perhaps its not, but in my opinion it is.

Gilgamesh

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
Just to clarify a bit,

I've been keeping fish for quite some time and understand cycling, etc... so no worries there.
for room and space considerations, I'm not going any bigger than 3 gallons. Does anyone have a small tank this size that they do heat?

It looks like right now that the only possibility is a Betta, but I'm not going to put one in an un-heated tank...

J-Aqua

AC Members
Sep 11, 2000
Chestnut Hill, MA
I'm not sure if I understand the issue as to why you can't just put a heater in the tank. DrsFosterSmith.com sells a new mini heater that's 7.5W and for 2-5 gallon aquariums ($10)

fish addict

AC Addict
Mar 6, 2005
Wilmington, NC
I have a heated 5 gallon, and the small heater required was pretty cheap ($13 @ petsmart). Your options are limited in a 3 gallon. Maybe a few ghost shrimp or 2-3 fancy guppies. I would think that one small blue ram would be okay as far as size goes, but I don't know if it would be very happy. Add a small, easy to care for plant to liven it up. Invest in a heater, they are small, cheap, and necessary.

jfennimore

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
I have 2 eclipse explorers, both with dual temp heaters. Overkill, I know but they were on closeout for 9.99 at PetSolutions. I have a small angel and 3 tetras in one, and 2 tetras, tiger barb, and recently introduced red crab in the other. No problems w/either.

Jeff

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Just so you know, other than overstocking issues, red crabs are brackish and will most likely try to eat your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store