Is this a 50g Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Originally posted by RioXingu
Actually, I was kind of hoping that the bow-front curve of the aquarium could be assumed to be that special case of the ellipse, you know, a circle[...]
Of course! *kicks self repeatedly in posterior portion* Why didn't I say that :duh: ?
Once we are willing to accept the shape of the bowfront to be a section of a circle, determining the radius of that circle only requires the use of a protractor and a little basic trigononmetry :eek:
However, for the benefit of those who are this far from putting both of us on their ignore list, I propose we concentrate our efforts on pre-digesting the math so all they have to do is lay a tape measure across the tank in a few specified places and plug in the numbers *wanders off, muttering to self about chords, perpendicular bisectors, geometric means mumble mumble*

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Okay, I have a formula, but it most emphatically does not meet the criteria of "user friendly."

Though the initial objective was to pre-digest the numbers, what I have produced (so far) is so much mathematical v*mit :thud:

I won't even try to post it here, but if anyone who is following this bit of intellectual extravagance wants to see this monstrosity, just email me.

Work still in progress on the bowfront, wanna start on pentagons :rolleyes: ?

RioXingu

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
Janesville, WI
www.ticon.net
OK. The protractor will measure the angle between the chord and the radius of the circle used for the bow-front, and the law of sines will be used to determine the length of that radius. Correct?
Hey, I'm up way past my bedtime, and the 8 college math courses I took were concluded a long time ago (and I wasn't even a math major).
It is also difficult here to adequately represent a mathematical formula without the use of superscripts and square root signs.

I am beginning to think it might be easier to just fill the bow-front with water, and then drain the water into 5 gallon buckets; see how many it fills up. LOL

Bill in WI

Last edited:

Julia

AC Members
Feb 2, 2004
Washington, DC
Visit site
Originally posted by RioXingu

I am beginning to think it might be easier to just fill the bow-front with water, and then drain the water into 5 gallon buckets; see how many it fills up. LOL

Bill in WI
No, it would be easier to fill the tank from 5 gallon buckets & see how many it takes. :)

Seriously, I :bowing: to your mental agility, all of you. :cool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store