Is This A Good Combo?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Registered Member
Oct 3, 2020
I have a Golden Severum, Convict Cichlid, 2 Blood Parrots, and Jack Dempsey in a 55 gallon currently. In a month, or so they will be moved to a 75 Gallon. Will a Gymnogeophagus fit in as a good tank-mate for my fish?No aggression right now, and My Jack Dempsey is supposedly a female and very laid back and young. I am trying to see if I want this Geophagus now so at least the aggression won't be as bad if it grows up with it's tank-mates now. If I were to get it from my site, it would only be 1'-2' inches btw. I am prepared to upgrade to a 120 if necessary but i don't think so.....

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's a lot of cichlids in a 55g or even a 75g. It's not as much aggression (although Dempseys & convicts can be, regardless of sex) it's more about the sheer fish mass...& their waste. Sevs are mellow, I "hear" blood parrots are, but they are all large fish...& then 2 more (smaller?) cichlids...I see an overstocked tank as adults...& we must always stock for adult fish, not the juveniles we often buy

Reactions: Sprinkle

mechtech

AC Members
Sep 21, 2020
That's a lot of cichlids in a 55g or even a 75g. It's not as much aggression (although Dempseys & convicts can be, regardless of sex) it's more about the sheer fish mass...& their waste. Sevs are mellow, I "hear" blood parrots are, but they are all large fish...& then 2 more (smaller?) cichlids...I see an overstocked tank as adults...& we must always stock for adult fish, not the juveniles we often buy
he is right you might be looking to upgrade to a 150 when they all reach adulthood

Reactions: FishAddict74

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's too much for a 75.

I keep an oscar and a green severum (just these 2 together) in a 75g and it's not nearly enough tank. You may not think of severums getting big, but they do. Mine is small to medium oscar sized.

I've had these two together by themselves in this same 75g setup for 8yrs.

I make it work by feeding lightly with decent quality foods and a weekly ~80-90% water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store