Is this Anubis rhizome alive?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Work n’ Grind

AC Members
Feb 23, 2022
0CB26EFB-2585-46C4-A1A3-39667C71D0BB.jpeg I
I bought this recently and am not sure if this rhizome is healthy and if it’s not if it looks like it can be saved

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Anubias are pretty hardy. When we attach them to things we sometimes make what we tie them down with too tight. This can cause a part of the rhizome to die. This will not kill the whole plant. Usually the dead part turns to mush but the remaining living rhizome will be very firm.

Anubias are pretty hardy. If the plant is no longer viable it will shoew you by have it all starting to die/ Have a littl patience and you will see how things turn out. My bet is the plant will be fine over time.

Work n’ Grind

AC Members
Feb 23, 2022
Anubias are pretty hardy. When we attach them to things we sometimes make what we tie them down with too tight. This can cause a part of the rhizome to die. This will not kill the whole plant. Usually the dead part turns to mush but the remaining living rhizome will be very firm.

Anubias are pretty hardy. If the plant is no longer viable it will shoew you by have it all starting to die/ Have a littl patience and you will see how things turn out. My bet is the plant will be fine over time.
Thanks for the response, as this was grown out of water the leaves will “melt” and re grow correct? This will take awhile I would guess, a month or two is that a good estimate?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've got a few different types of anubia that I've had for years. All of it was pathetic little dried out petco or petsmart purchases. I don't recall if the leaves grown out of the water die once submerged, but I do know you have to be patient with anubia. Like T TwoTankAmin says, it's hardy and simple to keep, it just grows sloooooowly in your basic setup.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I'm going to say it looks a bit iffy. IME a healthy rhizome is light-dark green not tan like yours. It's not to say it won't bounce (slowly) back, it might.

Anubias don't "melt" like crypts & some other plants can do. You might lose an older leaf or 2. Is there a new leaf forming? That's a good sign! I can't see if that's happening with yours...

Work n’ Grind

AC Members
Feb 23, 2022
Well, I'm going to say it looks a bit iffy. IME a healthy rhizome is light-dark green not tan like yours. It's not to say it won't bounce (slowly) back, it might.

Anubias don't "melt" like crypts & some other plants can do. You might lose an older leaf or 2. Is there a new leaf forming? That's a good sign! I can't see if that's happening with yours...
its only a couple days in the tank half the plant was a lost cause when I opened it, I think the rhizome is moving closer to light green, on root is looking bad the other seems to be bouncing back, would you cut off thebrown root?19C6B92D-73CC-4552-A046-9EEB873EA721.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd just let it ride for now (BTO reference for oldsters, lol). Like others said, they grow really slowly. It may be a month or 2 until you can tell if it's going to get happy. Fingers crossed!

Can you see a tiny new green pointy leaf forming behind the big leaf?

IME "rot" looks darker brown & kinda squishy texture, yours doesn't, yet?...just wait...always best with anubias, they can come back from, well, lots of issues. Even if you have only 1 leaf & it goes yellow/brown the rhizome may recover...eventually. I've almost never killed an anubias...Wait!

Reactions: dudley

Work n’ Grind

AC Members
Feb 23, 2022
I'd just let it ride for now (BTO reference for oldsters, lol). Like others said, they grow really slowly. It may be a month or 2 until you can tell if it's going to get happy. Fingers crossed!

Can you see a tiny new green pointy leaf forming behind the big leaf?

IME "rot" looks darker brown & kinda squishy texture, yours doesn't, yet?...just wait...always best with anubias, they can come back from, well, lots of issues. Even if you have only 1 leaf & it goes yellow/brown the rhizome may recover...eventually. I've almost never killed an anubias...Wait!
I didn’t read befor I planted my first one, definitely died under the gravel smh. No new leaf yet but the color is improving thanks everyone I’ll let you know in a month or two lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store