Is this canister filter good?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
They get a lot of good reviews. Some seem to have an issue with the bottom basket being a bit finicky and not wanting to come out.

What tank would you be using it on?

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I like mine and I plan to order another tomorrow.

drdud

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
Southwest of Chicago
I got my sun sun and set it up the at the end of October. I changed the media this afternoon. Although I did not see any reduction in flow, I could not believe that I would not have to mess with filter media changes. I thought 6 weeks was long enough since I tend to overfeed. I expected terrible looking media.

Anyway, the media was barely soiled. The media was soiled on the bottom but had not clogged. I had no problems getting the baskets out. I was very impressed.
This was my first cannister. One thing I did not realize about cannisters is the direction of flow. The sun sun uses a pump in the top section which draws the water from bottom to top of the cannister. This means that the media would have a tendancy to lift away from the baskets, causing the media to be bypassed. I must of had enough media installed to keep it seated since I did not see any indication of bypass (large pieces of debris on top of the media).

Anyway, mine seems to be working great.

gustavo85

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Puerto Rico
They get a lot of good reviews. Some seem to have an issue with the bottom basket being a bit finicky and not wanting to come out.

What tank would you be using it on?
I have a planted 75 gallon tank with a Fluval 305 but I'm overstocked, sometimes overfeeding and I'm horribly underfiltrated, so I wanted a cheap filter to work together with the Fluval.

gustavo85

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Puerto Rico

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I don't think you'll regret it. :) You will need more media than what they send though. Most people use pot scrubbies and some sort of prefilter or the blue-bonded pads. I have pot scrubbies in the middle tray, fluval pre-filter rings on the bottom, and the 3 fine filter pads they sent with the filter on the top.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store