Is this correct?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

New2Fish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2003
NY
Visit site
My fiance and I invested in a 20G tank last week. We have had fish in it since last Wed., 5 tetras to be exact. I brought one back because he was too aggressive. They were happy for about 2 days and then the water started to get cloudy. We were told by the pet store (what's LFS stand for anyway) that it will get cloudy but it will clear up on it's own. I have a ph test kit, Novaqua, a water clearer and a de-stresser. I do not have anything to test nitrites/nitrates or amonia. We feed them once a day. What else do you need to know?

The fish looked like they were having problems the other day but I think that was b/c it was too hot. They were all hanging out at the bottom of the tank barely moving and breathing heavy (Fiance laughs at me for this description). Once I lowered the heat they were doing much better.

My question is, am I doing everything correctly? I will be adding more water (conditioned of course) to make up for what's evaporated.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
You do need to do some partial water changes in order to reduce the ammonia content of the water...but the water will get cloudy during the cycling process.

New2Fish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2003
NY
Visit site
Thanks. I've been skimming through that thread and the common mistakes thread. Apparently, I really need patience right now. Fiance is the one that wants to add fancy fish, I'm happy w/ the tetras for now.

New2Fish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2003
NY
Visit site
Ah, that's a lot of abbreviations! So, I removed some water last night and put new water in. It hasn't cleared up at all but I will patiently wait and watch and see what will happen in the next few weeks.

Thanks for everyone's help.

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I read somewhere that ammonia can become more toxic at higher temps, so that may be why lowering the temp seemed to make them feel better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store