Is this normal Corydoras Panda behavior?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
That cory doesn't look as bad in this second video. So I watched the first one again...what bothered me there was the drifting/sinking down that usually suggests trouble internally. I wouldn't want to say either way now. Time will tell.

The charging up and down the glass is not a particular concern, though it is from stress. Corys often do this when introduced to new tanks. They do not like being moved from one environment to another. This they should settle out of, though as I think I noted in your other thread, this species is from somewhat faster-flowing streams so it enjoys some current. My group of five panda are the only corys of 12 species in the tank that play for long periods right in the flow from the canister; the others never do this.

Byron.
This is a very interesting discussion.
In my view, the second video still shows an active, alert, well-colored Panda which does not seem stressed or in any discomfort. I still feel it's simply being playful. I've kept Pandas several times over the years, and when stressed, out of sorts, or experiencing some type of problem, they have tended to discolor significantly, become pale & sluggish, non-active, and hide away a good deal of the time. That's my .02
Do any other viewers have any comments about what they're seeing here ?
This cory seems a bit bipolar. Looks troubled in the first video but the second video says otherwise. It can be playing. But OTOH it could be ill

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah, could be either, and I agree it seems a bit bipolar. LOL . But it sure doesn't behave like a sick fish to me. Keep your fingers crossed, Patricia, that it's just a bit OCD.
I guess none of us will know until we see what develops over the next couple of weeks.
Watched the video again, and the cory is swimming at its own reflection. I don't know if any health issues have arisen since the last page of the post, but I wouldn't have worried at all just based on the video. I have two emerald green x bronze corys that follow each other around my 100g in much of the same manner when I see them.
corydoras are weird fish. in my experience, they rarely have typical behavior...my bronze cories used to eat from the surface of the tank with my glolites until i moved them into a different tank. my schwartz's corydoras used to be kinda crazy and swam all over the tank like that, but as they have gotten older they have really calmed down and I expect the same with my bronzes'. i wouldnt worry too much about it. keep an eye on him.
Thanks guys! :thumbup: You guys are awesome. I guess my Cory is bipolar and/or has OCD:what:
Now he is not doing that anymore. Now he is playing in the current.

Only time and observation will tell!

Thanks again,
Patricia

Last edited:

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Hey guys can you take a look on the second video. From seconds 00:40 to 00:51. The Cory does this behavior only in the front right corner.
What could it be?

Patricia

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I have a clown loach that use to do the same thing. I think it was a stress or play thing. I got a second loach and he stopped also got moved to a bigger tank.

Sent from my XT1058 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I have a clown loach that use to do the same thing. I think it was a stress or play thing. I got a second loach and he stopped also got moved to a bigger tank.

I just notice that three of the four cories always stay together except that lone cory. Do you guys think he is being rejected by the rest of them?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree though perhaps for different reasons. The more I watch these videos, the more I am thinking there is no issue. This particular very active behaviour that we see here is due to stress, I've no doubt about that, and this is normal in a new environment. And sometimes it is just one of a group, sometimes all. This species is more "active" than most so I would expect this particular cory to calm down in time and join up with the others.

That "sinking" evident once in the first video is the only thing that would concern me, if it continues. But it hasn't in the second.

Byron.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron

I've noticed similar with loaches of the Botia genus, and this is due to stress. These are highly social fish, and must be in groups. You should have more than two clown loaches, at least four but five would be better. Hope you have the space, as they can reach 16 inches though between 8 and 12 is usual in the aquarium. These fish develop a hierarchy within the group, and too few can mean one gets picked on, depending upon the sex of the fish. But denying them a group is something to be avoided as that is highly stressful.

Byron.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I don't think so - I believe he is just a different type of personality, and is just doing his 'own thing'.
I agree though perhaps for different reasons. The more I watch these videos, the more I am thinking there is no issue. This particular very active behaviour that we see here is due to stress, I've no doubt about that, and this is normal in a new environment. And sometimes it is just one of a group, sometimes all. This species is more "active" than most so I would expect this particular cory to calm down in time and join up with the others.

That "sinking" evident once in the first video is the only thing that would concern me, if it continues. But it hasn't in the second.

Byron.
Thank again guys, I also think it is stress. But I will keep an eye out for the sinking behavior.

If it wasn't for this forum I would be lost. :):thumbup:
Patricia

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Most of my corys do the lone ranger thing until something like food or another school getting too close brings them together. They are very, very erratic fish. Seriously. Clown loaches, too. My clowns do the follow the leader thing with my corys and they pull some seriously weird acrobatics.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Most of my corys do the lone ranger thing until something like food or another school getting too close brings them together. They are very, very erratic fish. Seriously. Clown loaches, too. My clowns do the follow the leader thing with my corys and they pull some seriously weird acrobatics.
Now it's doing a bobbing motion at the surface but it doesn't break the surface.
Currently uploading the video to YouTube, will post link as soon as it finishes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store