Is this possible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I have a 125 that will soon be unoccupied and Ive been hovering over the idea of having it be a brackish water tank with mudskippers and archers.

I'd like to have something with LOTS of vegitation both aquatic and terrestrial... water level will be anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3.

I'd like it too look something like this...

Is there something I dont know that would keep this from becoming reality?

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
That may depend on the salinity of the water. Few species can thrive in areas with an elavated salt content, most notable mangroves (for your purposes try black and red) and some species of marsh grass. If you know where the photograph came from, I'd suggest find out about their planting scheme and parameters.

A note with the mangroves, do not expect to get fantastic tangled jungles of roots quickly. It may take at least a few years for the trees to develop to a point where they can be trained.

Good luck!

b.W.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
that was one of my concerns aswell...

one possible solutions is to seperate the plants into aquatic and terrestrial by raising the land plants well above the water...

the aquatic plants would have to be those which can with stand brackish waters... anacharis, anubias, jungle vals, java ferns, Chain Swords, etc.

and on the terrestrial side, i could have misters like shown in the picture, feeding them freshwater.

i dont know if the water evaporating from the tank would contain salt and affect the growth of these plants, but that will take further research and a look into land plants, which i know little about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store