Isolating Fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Am curious if this is a common practice: my LFS suggested I pick out the fish I want now and then they will 'isolate' them in a tank of their own until I am ready to add them to my aquarium. All I am going to get are 3 Neon Tetras and 3 White Clouds to add along with my Betta.

This is a pretty small store, although they have LOTS of tanks, and they receive their new fish once a week on Monday but will not sell them until the following Monday, although you can reserve the ones you want... you can also order something and although he said he won't guarantee I'd get it (if it was hard to find, I suppose) he'd do his best to get it in.

They have also said they will take fish back; take baby fish in -- but they will also isolate those for 1-2 weeks and THEN they will give a credit for anything in the store.

I'm not that familiar with fish stores -- is this a normal mode of operation?? (They seem nice there but I guess I am just hesitant because when I asked their opinon on adding certain fish with my Betta they replied "anything with a blue dot on the tank is compatible" and yet some of them I disagree with after reading more info...)

wetmanNY

AC Members
Finnzup your LFS has put blue dots on fish rated as "community fish." That's a sound base on which you can build a more defined community based on your own discernment.

A LFS that holds new arrivals a full week and won't sell them to you (there's one in Manhattan) is a rarity. If the rest of their service is at this level, you should go out of your way to buy them. A fish that costs two dollars less but brings diseases that stress the rest... it's no bargain.

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
Finzzup, you are very lucky. Sounds like you have a top rate LFS there. Holding the fish for a week before selling them is great. Best I can do is go to my LFS on Mondays to buy fish because I know he gets them in weekly on Tuesdays, otherwise he's not very helpful at all. You also mentioned that they were going to help you with testing your tank water even though at the time you hadn't bought anything from their store. That shows me they are helpful people, so that's a good thing!

I recently returned a fish to my LFS for the first time and he was very reluctant to take it back at all. Acted like it had never happened before, but he finally did it. I wish he had some type of policy in place for that, I have more I'd like to return. He's the one who sold me fish that get up to 10+" for a 10 gallon tank :)

I'd shop around online for actual equipment purchases. Be sure to add shipping costs though. If an item costs $29.99 at the LFS, but only $19.99 online, that may be a bargain, but add $8 for shipping and I'd rather do my business locally.

Do keep in mind though that the LFS is there to make money, even if they are good people and are operating ethically. I'd still research information online to make sure that they are selling you things you really need and fish that are really compatible.

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Thanks Wetman and Arky! Your opinions are appreciated!

The store really does seem super and the owner is very nice although a little standoffish. He doesn't seem to want to chit-chat much or answer many questions. He's kind of a "yes" or "no" person.

They must do some great business because the place is always hopping, although a lot of it is for the other critters they carry there. No birds -- but there are snakes, a giant lizard thing twice the size of my Schnauzer, hamsters, guinea pigs and other critters I don't care to know about, I'm sure. :eek:

I am not going to do the isolation thing as there IS a charge for it ($5 per week) -- I suppose if I were buying an expensive fish, I'd do it.

I was hoping they'd have the freeze dried bloodworms but all they have are frozen ones, so hopefully I can find those at Walmart or something! I don't have a freezer here!

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
My Wal-Mart has freeze dried bloodworms, so you should be fine there.

In an effort to keep Mr. Utley safe since you're most attached to him, you might want to put the new fish into the new aquarium first and leave Mr. Utley in his bowl for a couple more weeks. You should know within a couple weeks if the other fish have any signs of disease or anything.

I know you're anxious to get Mr. Utley into his nice new home, but would be a shame to introduce him to some disease :(

T

TnCgal

Finzzup,

I'm going to move this thread over to the General FW forum since this is not directly a beginner's question ! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store