Its so HOT!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Buffalo is hitting 86 everyday and my tank 84 ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!

even at night its 82! i do not want to buy a chiller with cooler weather slowly on its way but i feel like this is torture for my tank! a fan on high directly over the open water doesnt do much! and frozen water bottles are not working!

can this be damaging if it keeps up?! nothing seems out of normal its just driving me crazy

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
if you want mount a small fan to blow across the water surface, the evaporation will cool the tank down!

good luck!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
thats what i have! its on high too!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Plastic bottles filled with water, and frozen....then just plop a bottle in the tank...it will cool the water as it defrosts...when defrosted, just sling back in the freezer to re-freeze... :)

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I believe that he is using the frozen bottles as well as the fan method... But Conski, my young friend, I believe you were aware that this would be an issue when you bought the sunpod... those MH lights throw off a lot fo heat. I strongly encourage you to get a chiller and not worry about it. If the highest you are getting is 84 I don't think that that is fatal, but it is getting into the stress zone. What is your photoperiod? You could try gradually reducing that to see if there is any change.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
I changed the position of the fan and mounted it to the back of the biocube, itgs much closer to the water and its brought down 2 degrees thus far. on its way to 80 im sure and its 87.

Im about to buy a 29 gal, an MP10, a maxijet 1200, 29 pounds of LR. i dont have the chiller in the budget :/.. its the last thing on my list.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
If you're continuing to have heat issues, you may want to consider altering your light schedule a little. I'm not sure how long the lights are running, but you may want to cut back the photoperiod an hour while it's hot. That probably will not help all that much, but anything that helps is a step in the right direction. Another option, unless the tank is in a bedroom, is to switch the photoperiod to run during the night, when air temps are lower.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
i would skip the mp10 for now esp on a 29 gallon running mh lights. more bang for buck with chiller imo. but to each his own. the mp10 would be cool but it isnt like you r running an sps tank yet. akoralia 1 or 2 would suffice 4 flow until later. heat is going to cause more problems with your livestock

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Completely agree with DSR. MP10, while really nice and fun to have, isn't nearly as critical as a chiller. Use a Koralia2 for now since your doing mostly softies/leathers because temps are much more critical to leathers than flow is.

zoakeeper

AC Members
Aug 9, 2009
the outback
run you tank at 80F for a normal temp and the higher will not be so much of a stress. 82 is not unheard of to run a reef, but you have to keep the organic load much lower than you would for a cooler tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store