ive been wondering..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
...is it possible to run more than one tank through a single sump?

i know you would have to have them at the same water parameters but is there any reason why you couldnt?

im thinking if i had a couple of good sized community tanks i could plumb them all together to a sump in the garage or what ever.

would that be possible or practical?? anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Bruddah Chrispy

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Redmond, WA
Visit site
I think that is what many fish stores do. Maybe some of those folks who polled as having 7+ tanks could answer this?

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
i think they do..ill have to ask the next time im in.

the idea just seems neat to me. it would cut down on equipment costs but i wonder if it would make maintenance harder than it would be other wise...hmmm i dunno anyone have any opinions?...can you imagine trying to find a fish in all the piping that would be required for something like that? :D

ROFL would it be cool if you could make like a giant hamster cage type thing with the tubes goign all over for your fsih to swim through...your favorite lil fishy can follow youi all over the house :D

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Of course you can, many folks (including me) do so.

There are two varieties broadly speaking:

1. "Pure" central system: Water is pumped into a manifold, with individual piping to each tank, individually adjustable. Each tank is equiped with static overflows, or constant-level siphons. The out-flow stream is merged back to the filters/sumps.

2. Circulating range sysytem: Water is pumped to tank 1, then flows passively to tank 2, then to tank 3...etc. to tank n. From tank n it returns to the filter/pumps, etc.

Mine is the second format, but with two separate loops (one with six tanks, one with four), so is something of a hybrid between the two.

Neurotic quarantine is absolutely required - you have too much at risk to introduce any fish of which you are not absolutely certain.

Clogs and overflows are a major hazard.

Water changes are a snap.

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
yeah i can imagine..one lil fishy wipes out your whole stock with the sniffles =/

with water changes..you just take it out of the central sump? if so doesnt that mean that there is a chance the water in some tanks could still get a bit stale? :eek:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Your water is circulated through the entire system at rates you control. No part of the system escapes circulation, so no part can get "stale".

You can, and do, vacuum individual tanks as much as you want - you are just pumping water into the sump as you are removing it from tank x, or you have an alarm on the sump so you don't drain it dry or flood it while vacuuming individual tanks in the system. With a couple of dozen tanks operating at the moment, I do several per day - some in the system, some not. Some days - if the system is a bit behind on partials, I just use the sump to water change only. It is much more complex to set up than to operate.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I'm one of the folks who believe more water is more stable than less water - but that is debatable just like everything else about fish-keeping.

My system has so many plants that nitrification bacteria are not a big issue - some tanks are basically veggie filters, and the 4-tank loop is on reversed light cycle from the 6-tank loop. There are no pronounced day/night O2/CO2 variations. There has not been any detectable ammonia or nitrite in ~15 years. I frequently have to add nitrates - but that is a function of whether or not I've done my gravel vacuuming in the FO units - they less I vacuum, the less nitrate I have to add (positive feedback is a bad thing in this case).

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
so basically its running like an actual lake or somesuch. would it perhaps be a bit more stable with the nitrate and nitrite if you had more fish in the system?.

Also would you mind telling me what a reverse light cycle is?

hehe i know most of these questions are kinda basic stuff but everyones gotta learn somewhere you know. thanks alot for your help RTR :D

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
i just thought....what would happen if you plumbed a big pond into a ssytem like we are talking about?

i mean aside from the added water would the extra goodies that grow in ponds like the bugs etc be able to make their way to the interior tanks?? that might have some advantages if they could like a refugium feeder type thing almost...thought if they COULD get rhought the plumbing it would probably be in pretty small numbers and you would probably get a huge insect population in your house which wouldnt be pleasant :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store