ive been wondering..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
The easy one first ;)

Reversed light cycle is just that - when one set of tanks has their lights go off, the others are coming on. One set has day 11 AM to 11pm, the other has day 11PM to 11AM. The dark cycle set feeds CO2 to the lighted set, the light set feeds O2 to the dark set, the 24-hour cycle is smoother. One set is fed mornings, one set is fed evenings - balance the load out.

Hook up with native or wild waters is never ever desirable - disease and other contamination can go both ways, and is rarely good, usually illegal.

But the setup can be handled as a series of refugia. A FO carnivore tank followed by a heavily planted tank, followed bt a daphnia tank (eat bacteria and other smallish beasties) and that followed by a wood shrimp tank (who sit in the incoming current harvesting the daphnia that wash over). I have a rainbow tank with lots of Java Moss , adjacent tanks are heavily planted and serve as Rainbow fry nurseries, many of which are carried in by the flow. You can say you are playing with a highly restricted and limited ecosystem - the plant tanks help produce the snails to feed the puffers (my main carnivores), while the plants are eating some of the puffer waste (but only some). It is fun and challenging - not that you will have a closed system, but that you are using some parts of the system to offset the needs from other parts of the system.

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
that does sound neat :)

do the snails, daphina etc just drift round the set up to the fish that are gonna dine on them or do you help it along some?

i did not mean an actual river or something just a pond but i assume that the same things would apply to hooking it up with the diseases and all.

do all of your tanks have some fish in them or are the planted/daphnia ones just that, planted and daphnia tanks =)

hehe...i love this hobby, i defy anyone to find anything this intricate in hamsters or what ever ;)

Bruddah Chrispy

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Redmond, WA
Visit site
Originally posted by demon_surfer

hehe...i love this hobby, i defy anyone to find anything this intricate in hamsters or what ever ;)
The key is to put the hamsters to work powering your aquariums by running on their wheels.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Some units are FO, none are pure plant only (PO?) - they have daphnia, or shrimp, and snails (common, pond, MTS), or even fry for growout, or bristlenose breeders). That varies with time and my needs of the moment.

The daphnia tank overflows to the woodshrimp tank. After wood shrimp comes a sponge-filtered pump, so that is dead end for livestock.

Snails are harvested/collected by type and size to feed particular puffers. That I do. Plus there are other stand-alone snail breeding tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store