Jack Dempsey Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
Hi Everyone! I've been away from the hobby for quite a while and would like to start a tank again. I'm not really looking for a high maintenance planted tank and was thinking of having some Jack Dempsey's. I'd like to have a 75 gallon with a pair. My LFS is currently selling a breeding pain who have been cohabitating for quite a while. Is a 75g big enough for a pair only with no other fish? If so, what would be a good canister filter option for that size tank?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
JDs can grwo big, about 10inches. I have seen some at LFS about that size. IMO, a pair "can" be kept together in a 75, but that would be at the lowest size limit.
With filters, I would recomment 2. This way you can clean one each cleaning only.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I'd get a Eheim 2217. If you want 2 filters, add a large HOB. An Aquaclear 110 or an Emperor 400 would work.

I would not keep anything in a 75 with a pair of Dempsey. Large tetra maybe. But even then, they may end up as food for the JD's or just ripped apart. Tiger barbs maybe too.

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
I'm picking up the tank next Saturday! I got a great deal on Craigslist. 75 gallon tank with a wood stand, canopy, 2 good sized fluval canister filters, another HOB, heater, and a bunch of accessories for $200!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store