Jack Dempsey veggies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I was feeding my otos some cucumber today, and threw a slice of cucumber into my 125g to see if my JD had any interest. He didn't seem to care, until I took a chunk from the middle (with no skin) and dropped it in. He took the whole thing and ate it right away, and got really intense colors, especially in his fins. Should I feed cucumber to my JD more often? It would be as a complement to his daily NLS pellets or tetra cichlid sticks, along with a weekly pinch of frozen bloodworms. If it helps he's about 6" right now.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Well, a couple days have passed since I fed him the cucumber and his colors are a lot better than they previously were. The body seems darker, and his fins and much more vibrant than usual, although no where near what it was like after he just ate it. I'm going to start adding a little bit of this into his weekly diet, or maybe combined it with some meat and pellets for a homemade meal.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I find it best to cut a small slice, impale it with a bamboo skewer, and clip the bottom down with a plastic clamp (the kind they sell for cheap at the hardware store, usually black with orange tips). Then they can graze at it freely for most of the day.

I wouldn't recommend combining something so wet and watery as cucumber with meat and pellets. Needlessly messy, IMO...what kind of meat do you feed? Keep in mind some animal meat is hard for fish to digest, even if they seem to love it.

Vegetables, algae, and Spirulina are all excellent color enhancers - you should try the Omega One algae wafers, they are great for that purpose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store