Jack Posts Supporting Engineered I-joists

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbarr

AC Members
Feb 19, 2018
Can anyone tell me if I can use jack posts in my basement underneath Engineered I-joists to help support a heavy load on my first floor. The weight will be approximately 2500 lbs in a 6' X 2' area directly over and parallel to one I-joists.

I am concerned about the Engineered I-joists and I am trying to determine what will be the best way to help support 2500 lbs without damaging the I-joists.

20180302_142928.jpg

20180302_144254.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Rbarr, welcome. Mine are not engineered joists, but below is how I used jack posts under my double 75g stand. IMO, it's how I would do it with yours:

Reactions: Rbarr

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't know about those engineered joists either, but I was going do like FF did. I ended up moving before that happened. But now I have a crawl space I've never explored :eek: but also a slab that my big tank 5 ft can go on :)

I'm not sure, but I remember it may matter which way the joists run. It's better if you have them so the weight is spread over 3 joists perpendicular to the tank length rather than 2 parallel to it. (if that makes sense).

I can't tell from FF's pic but his are 4ft x1.5 tanks rather than your 6 x 2ft so he wasn't going to hit 3 joists anyway. You may need 3 jacks.

It also will depend somewhat on the joist spacing. Mine were 16" on center but some are 24" I believe.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Always consult an engineer...but, IME, engineered joists are stronger than solid wood joists. The ideal situation would be your tank running length wise at right angles to the tank. Depending on the joists rating, supports may be necessary.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^ Agree. Although my dealings with engineers in similar realms have been all over the place, so you have to be careful there as well.

I'm *assuming* the OP is placing the tank against that knee wall and based on the duct work below (and like he said), the 6ft length is running parallel to the joists. It looks like the the setup would almost be centered over the beam in the center/top of his pic.

I'd use 3 posts and span the 3 beams with each. Starting with that double beam and working to the right. I wouldn't fasten your spanner boards to the joists. I'd use plastic pipe strap or similar like I did to let them float, but keep them in place. Disclaimer- I am not a structural engineer! Just suggesting what I'd do at your house! lol.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It would be helpful for the OP to indicate tank placement in the room he displayed....where the keyboard is or the end table. Then indicate on the shot below of the joists, the tank potential location. The doubled up I joist indicates supporting a load bearing wall, such as the keyboard wall, not the short knee wall.

Rbarr

AC Members
Feb 19, 2018
Can anyone tell me if I can use jack posts in my basement underneath Engineered I-joists to help support a heavy load on my first floor. The weight will be approximately 2500 lbs in a 6' X 2' area directly over and parallel to one I-joists.

I am concerned about the Engineered I-joists and I am trying to determine what will be the best way to help support 2500 lbs without damaging the I-joists.

View attachment 222973

View attachment 222974
Rbarr, welcome. Mine are not engineered joists, but below is how I used jack posts under my double 75g stand. IMO, it's how I would do it with yours:

Thanks for your information. Your support looks perfect. I am just concerned that the weight from the aquarium on the first floor and the pressure from the jack posts in the basement might be too much for the engineered I-joists.

Thanks for your information. Your support looks perfect. I am concerned that the weight of the aquarium on the first floor and the pressure of the jack posts from the basement might be too much for the engineered I-joists.
I don't know about those engineered joists either, but I was going do like FF did. I ended up moving before that happened. But now I have a crawl space I've never explored :eek: but also a slab that my big tank 5 ft can go on :)

I'm not sure, but I remember it may matter which way the joists run. It's better if you have them so the weight is spread over 3 joists perpendicular to the tank length rather than 2 parallel to it. (if that makes sense).

I can't tell from FF's pic but his are 4ft x1.5 tanks rather than your 6 x 2ft so he wasn't going to hit 3 joists anyway. You may need 3 jacks.

It also will depend somewhat on the joist spacing. Mine were 16" on center but some are 24" I believe.
Thanks for your information and advice. I am concerned that the heavy concentrated weight from the aquarium on the first floor and the pressure from the Jack posts in the basement might be too much for the Engineered I-joists.

I am thinking that a (3/4" X 16" X 7') piece of plywood on each sides of the I-joist laying flat directly under the aquarium, a (4" X 4" X 7') lumber laying flat under the plywood on each sides of the I-joist, being supported by 4 jack posts (2 on each sides of the I-joist), will support the weight of the aquarium without putting excess weight on the I-joist. The key will be to exert the proper amount of pressure from the Jack posts.
It would be helpful for the OP to indicate tank placement in the room he displayed....where the keyboard is or the end table. Then indicate on the shot below of the joists, the tank potential location. The doubled up I joist indicates supporting a load bearing wall, such as the keyboard wall, not the short knee wall.
The aquarium on a stand, will be placed beside and parallel to the half wall, which will put it directly over the middle I-joist in the photo. I just don"t trust having to attach anything to those Engineered I-joists.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
& that's why you should hire an engineer or 2 as Bob Bishop said. They may not have all the answers...but they have a much better idea of what you're trying to do.

Sorry I missed the parallel thing, I went off on an engineered joist search; with mixed results.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Rbarr, like mentioned above, these engineered beams are probably stronger than older built homes with 2"x10"s or 12"s used for this purpose. I just wouldn't want to disturb the edge boards of these beams by nailing, screwing or drilling anything into them. I'm also not sure how they would live though being soaked.

I'm also not quite understanding your 3/4" plywood plan you mentioned above. I would not rely on just a piece of plywood sandwiched between the top of jackposts and your beams, unless you were cutting sections to sandwich together on edge to make beams with, similar to what I have.

Again, with your level of concern on this, your best bet is to contact a professional.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You know, part of what I got bogged down when googling engineered I beams was a "this old house" thread of floor "bounce" with an exercise bike. & the suggestion was to do what sounds like Rbarr's idea...but that was a few days ago.

There is another consideration, the strength of the basement floor holding the floor jacks...Rbarr, do you have support posts in some areas of your basement? I'm kind of surprised your knee wall has double joists...but no posts. Is it "heavy" or not? I guess your house is much newer than any I've lived in...but all building codes are local. It may be worth at least a phone call to your inspector's office to find out if they can help, & how much it costs. Might be a place to start...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store