Jager or heater already with a heater cover and what wattage?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Hi, should I get jager or the second one? Although I've set my eye already on the second one, so I kinda decided myself, but what wattage should I get then? So sorry, but the thread is on another forum.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
the 100w one will be fine
It will be safer to get 2 50w ones

Last edited:

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
No, but why would you want a bigger one? Even 75w would be fine for your tank. Or is it not in a room temperature location?
It won't overheat, but it will heat faster, which isn't necessarily a good thing. And when it fails (and they almost always fail in the 'on' position), there will be very little time to rescue your fish. Whereas when 1 50w heater fails, you will get enough time to notice it.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Depends on ambient room temp for me and if the tank is covered or not. In general, I use 5 watts per gallon, with the total split between two heaters if tank is a 55 gallon or bigger.

Reactions: Sprinkle and dudley

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
No, but why would you want a bigger one? Even 75w would be fine for your tank. Or is it not in a room temperature location?
It won't overheat, but it will heat faster, which isn't necessarily a good thing. And when it fails (and they almost always fail in the 'on' position), there will be very little time to rescue your fish. Whereas when 1 50w heater fails, you will get enough time to notice it.
So I'll get the 150watt one. How do I notice if the heated has failed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store