Java moss pissing me off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
So, at some point, I had put java moss into most of my fish tanks. Ever since then, it's been a problem that I can never completely get rid of. I hate how it goes into my filters and I hate how it tangles around all my plants, particularly my subwas and roots.

Is there any way to get rid of java moss once for all without killing my other plants and without having to pick out each individual strand?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Did you hear about the new cichlid they discovered? Cichlasoma jamossia, a specialized feeder who only eats Java moss. I hear they slurp the stuff like spaghetti...:)

Unfortunately, no. The only thing you can do is break the tank down and pick off every piece. Hardly worth it! I have the same problem, it used to bug me, but now I just let it go and once there's enough, I pick off all the pieces and put them into one tank which is planted with 90% Java moss. I also sometimes use these scavenged bits to put together a Java moss and MTS package, which believe it or not I've sold for a maximum of $16 on eBay before...although generally more around $8-9.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Where do I get a Cichlasoma jamossia? ;)

My java moss never grows fast enough to really sell, it just grows enough to get on my nerves. Oh well.

Ketso

Cityfied Redneck
Jan 26, 2007
Peebles, Ohio
I believe that platydudes was joking about the Cichlasoma jamossia

Ketso

Cityfied Redneck
Jan 26, 2007
Peebles, Ohio
Doh!

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
I know you don't want to hear it but platy is pretty much right on. Personally, I would use it to my advantage. Make a moss wall or just some small 2x2 or 4x4 squares out of window mesh screen. Round up some of the moss to put in the mesh. Let it grow a bit and sell it for a decent price and use that money to buy your supplies. Just a thought

Sent from my PantechP8000 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store