java moss

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shikkapow

Confused Member
Dec 12, 2002
Virginia Beach, Va
Visit site
I have an on going battle with brown algae and high nitrates in my 55 gal brackish tank. I also have a 45 gal fresh tank that has a very healthy strain of java moss in it. I want to transplant the java moss (leave it on the ornament) to the brackish tank.. do i need to acclimate the moss to the new tank, or can I just dump it in there?
if i do need to acclimat it.. do it like a fish , in a bucket and slowly bring up the salinity?

thanks

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Nope, just stick it in. Personally, I think the stuff is a pain. No matter how I secure it, it always winds up getting loose & clogging up my intake tube filter screen. :mad:

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
You may already know this, but Java moss is said to release its own algae fighting chemicals (PFK Mag)
Really!?!

I'm all ears, tell me more!

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
The way that I always get Java Fern to stay put is to put it in a place of low current, this way it can't blow away. Then when it roots I move it where I want it. I have always used Driftwood (in FW tanks) and Lava Rock (in BW tanks) to help it root and keep growing. Hope this helps and if all else fails you could use fish rubber bands or the like. I wouldn't trust staples in a BW tank.

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
I haven't tried the fishing line idea yet. Sounds good though. My battle against Java Moss clogging eventually led me to putting Fluval 2 sponges over my filter strainer intakes. As a punishment to any Java Moss that sticks to and clogs my prefilters, it gets thrown out!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store