JD in 55g tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

notromt

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
I'm resetting up my 55 gallon tank that I had filled with danios, corys, and gourami before. I'm really wanting to get a JD, an EBJD if I can find any local. So, I have some questions:

1) Will a JD do well in a 55 gallon? I understand I may need to upgrade later, but for how long would one work in a 55g? 2-3 years?

2) I will have a HOB filter, and have a nice air pump to 3 different airstones (a 12", and 2 little 1" ones). Is that enough circulation?

3) I plan on just using some fake plants in the corners, but using large rocks near the base to try and keep them in. Will that work?

Any other suggestions on tank setup? I want to make sure I do this right. I will probably cycle the tank with 5 danios for a month, and then put them in a 10g that I'll also be setting up.

Betta Bob

AC Members
Jun 24, 2010
M.D.
You can keep one J.D. in a 55 for life. Mine lives in a 50 with a jellybean con. My experience with J.D. is they are kind of a shy fish, so a flower pot would probably be much appreciated.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
You can definitely keep a JD in a 55, and maybe a bristle nose plec as well.

Freezekougra

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Brooklyn NY
Agreed with above posters, JD should be fine. You might even want to keep the zebra danios as dither fish, fish for the JD to chase around so it's less shy(although I'm not saying all JD's are shy).

mikeb210

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Tank should be fine, but the airstones are unnecessary unless you like the wall of bubbles. The hob should be enough circulation and maybe you can add one once the fish gets bigger to keep his water clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store