Jewel cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
Ok so i have just bought 2 jewel cichlids. These are the first fish ive owned that havent settled into the tank almost instantly

for the last 3 days they have been hiding behind the rocks and not eating or even really coming out

I dont really want to add dither fish but i want to make them comfortable so if it comes to that i guess it comes to that

does anyone have any suggestions as too how i can help them settle in?

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Where's the tank located? I'd have them in a low-traffic area...and give them as many decorations as they could possibly want...then they'll come out more!

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
i hope you cycled the tank before you put them in. but i would give them a few more days to get used to their new home before you do anything. you could also put in some stress coat and that may help a little, if you got any.

decorations and plants and things help any fish get used to the environment becasue they have more places to hide and fell safer.

Last edited:

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
yes the tank was fully cycled..i just moved a colony of mbuna out of the tank.

Ill hunt around and see if i can get some more decorations for them. thanks for the ideas. there is not really a low-traffic area in my house, plus i would have thought that in a high traffic area they would get used to people quicker? :confused:

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
good theory, i dunno if it would work tho. cause most fish like to see the lest movement outside the tank as possible so as not to be disturbed, some larger fish luve the movement tho, like jags and devils. so i dunno good test.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
What's the pH of the water?..is it the same water parameters that you kept the mbunas in? I do know that jewels, for the most part, prefer softer water..much like the kribs do.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Originally posted by demon_surfer
it is 7.6 or something like that ill check it again when i get home.
7.6 should be fine for them...some people actually breed them in water with pH 8+...They do best in water with a pH from 6.5-7.5, and a hardness of 8-12dh. Give them plenty of rockwork with caves/holes...include some open space and some hardy plants.

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
they have fry! i guess that was why they were hiding and stuff. I just got a call from my girlfriend the fry are now free swimming, this is so awesome this is the first fish to ever spawn for me :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store